Copy Writer / Editor Lead
At Wheely, we're a luxury brand on the outside, but a technology company on the inside, building the world's first Luxury-as-a-Service. We believe that time is the ultimate luxury and that modern engineering and design, combined with the industry’s highest standards of service, can unlock an unparalleled experience for our customers.
More than 40% of our team works in product & engineering, and both Wheely founders are technical. We are also unapologetically design centric. It’s not about A/B testing one hundred shades of blue, but crafting the perfect shade. We also take a privacy-first approach and believe that where people travel, and who they travel with, is at their discretion.
We have refused government requests to hand over journey data, and are currently developing bespoke technology to put our clients’ movements beyond even our own reach.
Backed by leading global investors, Wheely is poised for the next phase of our journey. Over the next 5-10 years, we plan to offer a full portfolio of luxury services and expand into more international cities, building on our success in London, Paris, and Dubai.
About the role
Wheely are seeking a hungry Copywriter/Editor Lead with a keen attention to detail and the ability to tell channel-appropriate stories (CRM, social ads, scripts for video, website, product, newsletters. FAO etc). You are a wordsmith with an instinct for luxury brands and a keen interest in tech. In this way you will help develop the Wheely premium tone of voice. You'll have a strong point of view looking to make the next step in your career responsibilities, but also be a natural team player.
You will report to the Design Director who is also a Co-Founder. Your key collaborators are stakeholders across the business including the Marketing Director, CRM Manager, Design Team, Comms Team and even the CEO. Your influence will be felt across the business.
You will drive the standard and processes for creating outstanding copy. You will be responsible for ensuring all written language is in line with the Wheely tone of voice including that created by other freelancers who you will hire and manage. You will be completely hands on and will enjoy getting involved across the business, challenging anything that you see that could be improved.
Core content creation:
- Generate fresh and original ideas for content. Adapt to new trends, channels and technologies in copywriting. Think outside the box to create engaging content.
- Define messages and topics. Make final decisions about which stories and articles to publish.
- Write original copy and edit content (CRM, ads, scripts for videos, copy for the website, digital products, newsletters, FAQ, etc.)
- Distinguish between different genres and formats (social media, PR, advertising, articles, decks, etc.) and adapt copy for the channel.
- Break down a main message according to our design guidelines for landing pages, press releases, social media ads and posts, emails, in app messages etc.
- Adapt copy to create content that is punchy and easy to scan.
- Work with the team to define a publication’s layout, design, style and tone. This needs to be a fluid and collaborative process so that copy informs the design but is also able to be adapted to design restrictions.
- Monitor and adapt content performance using analytics tools. Use data to make data-driven decisions and optimise content strategies.
- Organise and prioritise tasks and projects. Meet deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Refine and document the process for creating quality copy at Wheely.
- Proactively work with designers to enrich our library of templates (Newsletter template, new product feature template etc.) saving time and making content creation more efficient.
- Contribute to brand-wide glassary and other related guidelines such as content-creation handbooks for other team mates.
- Mastery of grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Craft compelling and error-free copy.
- Fact-checking information (e.g. difference between Mercedes Benz S-Class W223 vs W222).
- Deliver exceptional attention to text structure, keeping it simple and easy to read.
- Guarantee alignment to the Wheely TOV.
- Use style guides and authoritative references such as The Chicago Manual of Style, Hart's Rules and others.
- Know the difference between a hyphen, an en-dash, an em-dash.
- Know the difference between 'Mercedes Benz S-class' vs 'Mercedes-Benz S Class’, '2 Wheely Invitations Remaining' vs 'Two Wheely Invitations Remaining', etc.
- Hire and brief freelance copywriters and translators (inc managing budget). Oversee the output including back translations to ensure the content is on brand. (Note that this is a very hands on role — 85% writing and 15% managing).
- 5+ years experience as a copywriter with a strong online portfolio of produced work.
- Relevant degree qualification in marketing or writing.
- Experience or demonstrated keen interest in the Luxury industry (hospitality, goods or services).
- Experience in a fast growth tech business is a valuable plus.
- A mix of agency and in-house experience would be ideal.
- The ability to switch effortlessly between editorial, social and advertising tone depending on the channel.
- Strong SEO knowledge and effective writing for CRM.
- Experience with writing for video (product demo and paid advertising).
- Ability to think in editorial typography blocks: a title, headlines, kickers, subtitles, leads, callouts, etc. Good knowledge of the differences between these blocks. Ability to bring structure to plain-text, using line breaks and special symbols as an artistic means.
- Experience using Google products (eg Docs) for copy creation and iteration. Experience with Notion be would helpful.
What we Offer
Wheely expects the very best from our people, both on the road and in the office. In return, employees enjoy flexible working hours, stock options and an exceptional range of perks and benefits.
- Medical insurance, including dental services
- Life and critical illness insurance
- Monthly credit for Wheely journeys
- Lunch allowance
- Cycle to work scheme
- Professional development subsidies
- Best-in-class equipment
- Wheely has an in-person culture but allows flexible working hours and work from home when needed
Wheely is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
All of your personal information will be collected stored and processed in accordance with Wheely’s Candidate Privacy Notice