Senior iOS Engineer
Senior iOS Engineer
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo's fully autonomous driving technology. Our software allows the Waymo Driver to perceive the world around it, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers. If you’re a software engineer or researcher who’s curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you.
In this role you'll:
Work on an iOS application to hail and control Waymo autonomous cars -- building complex user experiences, phone-to-vehicle communications, and solving novel human-computer interaction problems. You will build products which inspire trust in autonomous vehicle systems. The team works closely with UX designers and researchers, product managers, and vehicle software engineers to bring this cutting-edge technology to customers.
This position requires experience in two or more of the following:
- Experience with Swift, SwiftUI, or Objective-C
- Focus on pixel-perfect UI and strong collaboration with UX and product designers
- Client-server protocols (gRPC, Protobuf, etc...)
- Bluetooth and Bluetooth LE
- Test driven development
- B.S, or M.S. in Computer Science or a similar technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of experience building and shipping mobile apps from scratch using best practices
- Passion and experience building user-facing products
- Strong communication skills, being able to collaborate with the wider Waymo team (product managers, designers, vehicle and robotics engineers)
It’s nice-to-have, if you have experience in:
- Swift and SwiftUI
- Building and releasing on the iOS App Store
- UIKit, CoreAnimation, and other iOS libraries