Software Engineer Intern
One team. Global challenges. Infinite opportunities. At Viasat, we’re on a mission to deliver connections with the capacity to change the world. For more than 35 years, Viasat has helped shape how consumers, businesses, governments and militaries around the globe communicate. We’re looking for people who think big, act fearlessly, and create an inclusive environment that drives positive impact to join our team.
What you'll do
Viasat’s Resilient Space Missions team is responsible for developing and operating satellite systems and payloads that are designed to be highly reliable and able to withstand the harsh conditions of space.
This includes designing and building satellite platforms, payloads, and ground systems that are capable of surviving and continuing to function in the face of extreme temperatures radiation, and other environmental challenges.
The goal of the Resilient Space Missions team is to ensure that Viasat’s satellite systems are able to deliver reliable, high-quality service to customers around the world.
As a Software Engineer Intern, you will be an innovative, technically grounded, rational decision maker who objectively uses facts and data to guide solutions for the Resilient Space Missions business area. You will use real-world, hands-on programming experience, combined with a depth and breadth of knowledge applicable to space applications with a focus on integrating communication services between space and ground. The individual is a growth-oriented engineering leader looking to break from the functional bureaucracy found in most large aerospace corporations. They are willing to solve challenges outside of their comfort zone and complete assignments. The candidate demonstrates a collaborative personality, strong communication skills, and is self-motivated. They are an emerging leader, willing and able to tackle a growing amount of responsibility. They can provide guidance and support to junior level engineers on the team. An ability to complete tasks without supervision is crucial, as well as recognizing and anticipating the additional scope necessary to deliver complete solutions. This person isn’t afraid to ask “why?” and challenge the status quo when it unnecessarily constrains the solution space. You are rooted in engineering and not afraid to expand and broaden their education, and experience. This candidate is interested in space and looking to make a difference.
This intern will be embedded on an existing software team and immediately become a contributor to the development of a new satellite service using the latest technologies both on the ground and in space. Working directly with senior engineers, the candidate will not only get a chance to be a part of this development but also learn from people with a variety of experience.
What you'll need
- Currently pursuing Bachelor's degree or higher in computer science or software engineering
- Experience with C/C++, Python, Linux, and Git.
- Strong communication skills – both verbal and written.
- A self-starter, with the initiative and desire to solve complex problems and drive them to completion.
- Critical thinker, with prudent risk tolerance to balance risk and technology with requirements, cost, and schedule.
- Driven spirit accepting of challenges with a willingness to learn and recover from mistakes.
- Thrives in a multi-disciplined, cross organizational team environment that may include teammates from external partners and/or customer representatives.
- US government position. US citizenship required.
What will help you on the job
- Familiarity with object-oriented design and principles.
- Familiarity with networking protocols and concepts (TCP/IP, UDP, HTTPS, routing, IPSec, SDN).
- Solid knowledge of service-oriented architectures deployed in a cloud environment.
- We seek people who want to be involved in all phases of the lifecycle and seek to make important decisions through data driven rationale pushing the limits of what is achievable on highly accelerated timeframes.
$21 - $66 / hourly
At Viasat, we consider many factors when it comes to compensation, including the scope of the position as well as your background and experience. Base pay may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Additional cash or stock incentives may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. Learn more about Viasat’s comprehensive benefit offerings that are focused on your holistic health and wellness at careers.viasat.com/LifeAtViasat/Benefits.
Viasat is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, genetics, age, or veteran status or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristic. If you would like to request an accommodation on the basis of disability for completing this on-line application, please click here.