Senior Ground Segment Test Engineer
At Vast, our mission is to contribute to a future where billions of people are living and thriving in space. We are building artificial gravity space stations, allowing long-term stays in space without the adverse effects of zero-gravity. Our initial crewed space habitat will be Haven-1, scheduled to be the world’s first commercial space station when it launches into low earth orbit in August 2025. Our team is all-in, committed to executing our mission safely and on time. If you want to work with the most talented people on Earth furthering space exploration for humanity, come join us.
Vast is looking for a Senior Ground Segment Test Engineer, reporting to the Director, Ground Segment & Mission Operations, to support building and testing the systems required to ensure reliable communication to our satellites and artificial-gravity human-rated space stations. As a Ground Segment Test Engineer, you will contribute to all phases of ground segment system development, from initial concept to the operation and support of Vast’s on-orbit missions. The Ground Segment team builds ground stations, selects and integrates ground stations from our partner networks, and works on console in mission operations.
This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Long Beach location.
- Design, document, and execute test plans to verify proper function of ground station components and interoperability between ground station and space segment hardware
- Determine methods to simulate on-orbit satellite passes of Vast vehicles that reflect the flight environment as closely as possible
- Incorporate the “test as you fly” principle to ensure test setups reflect flight configurations
- In collaboration with facilities and the Ground Segment Engineer design, build, and install a satellite ground station at our Vast HQ
- Meticulously document test results
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the RF, Flight Software, Flight Software Test, and Ground Software teams to assist them with testing that involves ground segment hardware
- Identify opportunities to implement test automation to improve test repeatability and reliability
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, or other engineering discipline
- 2+ years of experience with RF design, analysis, and/or unit level testing (significant academic projects, internships, and traditional professional experience all qualify)
- Experience with RF test equipment such as Spectrum Analyzers, VNAs, Power Meters, Cable Analyzers, SDRs, Antennas, Attenuators, etc.
- Experience working with and testing complex hardware
- Experience working with Command Line interfaces
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Comfortable communicating deeply technical topics to a wide variety of audiences
- Ability to creatively solve problems and weigh against multi-disciplinary requirements together while assessing risk and making design and development decisions
- Familiarity with RF system performance test methods and metrics such as S-parameters, eye diagrams, bit error rates (BER), Eb/No
- Extensive experience in using spectrum and vector network analyzers for RF testing and troubleshooting
- Experience with GNU Radio and software-defined radios (SDRs)
- Experience with computer networking (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, LAN/WAN, DHCP, DNS)
- Understanding of RF schematics and RF electronics manufacturing to analyze and improve test capabilities
- Experience with software programming: Matlab, LabVIEW, Python, C/C++, JS, etc.
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
- Willingness to work overtime, or weekends to support critical mission milestones
- Ground Segment Test Engineer II: $100,000-$145,000
- Senior Ground Segment Test Engineer: $135,000-$170,000
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.