Senior RF Systems Engineer
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a Senior RF Systems Engineer, reporting to the Staff RF Engineer, to execute the development of the RF Systems for our Orbiter and Haven programs. This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Long Beach location.
As a Senior RF Systems Engineer, you will develop creative solutions to complex systems, production and test problems. Your work will involve spacecraft that will deliver the most cost-effective and efficient solutions for our customers. You will play a critical role in the system development and production process relating to RF systems for Haven; including creating integration and test procedures and processes for efficient manufacturability. Your input will be vital in designing and developing new and existing RF hardware to support the mission.
- Provide technical direction relating to RF systems and set top-level requirements to hardware agile development teams, integration, and test personnel.
- Working cross-disciplinary with manufacturing/integration engineers providing work instructions and installation procedures for integrating and testing RF hardware on the Haven vehicle.
- Develop processes relating to RF hardware to improve part tracking, traceability and reliability.
- Perform engineering analyses such as link budgets, antenna placement and coexistence.
- Component RE for existing off-the-shelf RF components or systems.
- Full life-cycle ownership for related systems, including development, testing, integration, operations and maintenance for related hardware (interfaces, modems, radios, antennas, etc.).
- Perform trade studies, use case development, requirements definition, derivation, validation and verification, interface definition, failure mode analysis, etc.
- Support planning, development, production, integration, testing, and operation of the RF avionics system in close concert with related disciplines.
- Bachelor's Degree in electrical engineering or related engineering discipline.
- 4+ years of experience with RF design, analysis, or unit level testing (significant academic projects, internships, and traditional professional experience all qualify).
- Experience with RF test equipment such as Spectrum Analyzers, VNAs, Power Meters, Cable Analyzers, SDRs, etc.
- Experience with software programming: Matlab, LabVIEW, Python, C/C++, JS, or other programming language.
- Familiarity with antenna measurement techniques and tools such as anechoic/reverb chambers, near field EM measurements.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Master’s Degree in electrical engineering or similar.
- Experience with full-lifecycle product development.
- Experience with electrical schematic capture software (Altium, Orcad or similar).
- Ability to creatively solve problems and weigh against multi-disciplinary requirements together while assessing risk and making design and development decisions.
- Knowledge of space radiation effects on RF electronics and antennas.
- Prior experience with vehicle electrical bonding requirements.
- Experience with vehicle and instrumentation buses such as GPIB, USB, TCP/IP, CAN, SPI, and I2C, as well as serial I/O (RS232/422/285).
- Experience with the design and integration of RF systems consisting of radio transmitters, receivers, LNAs, PAs, couplers, filters, etc.
- Experience with simulation tools such as SPICE, ADS, CST, HFSS, etc.
- Strong sense of accountability and integrity with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with designing electronics for spaceflight environment, verifying workmanship and operability through environmental test (random vibration, shock, thermal, burn-in, and TVAC).
- Senior RF Systems Engineer Level III: $150,000-$180,000
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.