Senior UX Designer
Vast was founded to expand humanity's frontier into the solar system and beyond. We believe that the next step on that journey is enabling manufacturing and habitation in LEO. We are building artificial gravity space stations to make this a reality. If you want to join a team that builds amazing things with the most talented people on Earth, please reach out.
Vast is looking for a Senior UX Designer, reporting to the Director, Ground Software & IT, to support the development of the software that will be required to test hardware on the ground and command and monitor Vast artificial-gravity human-rated space stations while on orbit. This will be a full-time, exempt position located in our Long Beach location.
As a UX Designer, you will work closely with engineers across disciplines to understand the problems they face. By empathizing with our engineers and understanding their needs – including their workflow, pain points, and perspective – you will design interfaces that are efficient, effective, and user-friendly. UX Designers at Vast are members of our software engineering teams. You will work side-by-side with software engineers on a daily basis to help make the designs you researched and created a reality. Through this close collaboration you will support rapid agile and iterative development to ensure the team can quickly respond to user feedback and move swiftly towards a functional design.
- Interview users of the software we are designing and building to understand their needs and compile requirements
- Storyboard user journeys to understand how users approach tasks they need software to accomplish
- Create low-fidelity prototypes to rapidly ideate on application layout and functionality using digital design software, whiteboard, or paper
- Gather and assimilate user feedback and apply to designs in an iterative fashion
- Create high-fidelity prototypes incorporating colors, fonts, buttons, menus, navigation to emulate as close as possible the functionality of the app being built
- Build and maintain design systems of UI components to promote design cohesion across software products and teams
- Bachelor of Science degree in informatics, human-centered design & engineering, or graphic design
- 5+ years experience in graphic or user interface design
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience with graphic and interface design tools like Adobe Creative Cloud, Sketch, Figma, or similar
- Familiarity with the software development lifecycle and agile methodologies
- Familiarity with design thinking methodologies
- Understanding of visual taxonomies and their applications in design
- Knowledge of computer applications and the ability to easily navigate through different computer software programs
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to make independent judgments with limited information
- Communication skills for relaying data (verbally and in-writing) between other employees, vendors, and customers
- Logical and strategic approach to solving problems
- Comfortable working in a high-stress environment balancing several projects at any given time, and the flexibility to adjust for abrupt changes in strategic direction.
- Willingness to work overtime, or weekends to support critical mission milestones
U.S. EXPORT CONTROL COMPLIANCE STATUSThe person hired will have access to information and items subject to U.S. export controls, and therefore, must either be a “U.S. person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.62 or otherwise eligible for deemed export licensing. This status includes U.S. citizens, U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (green card holders), and asylees and refugees with such status granted, not pending.