Thermal Analysis Engineer
The environment of space hold the potential to craft products that profoundly enhance life on Earth. Varda is at the forefront of this endeavor, harnessing the unique environment of low earth orbit to produce these innovations and reintroduce them to our world. Our mission transcends mere exploration; we're expanding the economic horizons of humanity.
At Varda, you'll be positioned at the nexus of ambition and expertise. Our seasoned team, with its rich legacy in aerospace and technology, has honed its skills in the corridors of industry giants. Here, your contributions will be both cherished and critiqued by leaders who, with a wealth of experience behind them, are now devoted to the realm of extraterrestrial manufacturing.
While our aspirations soar high, our path is grounded in technical pragmatism and operational viability. Our conceptual operations are crystalline material processing and reentry, backed by years of research and development anchored in the International Space Station's, and commercial space sectors expansive achievements.
Join Varda, and work to finally create a bustling in-space ecosystem.
About This Role
The Thermal Analysis Engineer serves as a key member of the vehicle engineering team to develop thermal architectures and provide hardware design requirements for all of Varda’s space vehicles. This position will drive spacecraft hardware design and testing, from the vehicle level down to the component level. This highly team-oriented role will provide exposure to all aspects of spacecraft analysis and design
- Create and maintain top level Integrated Thermal Analysis models for Varda’s space vehicles.
- Work collaboratively with other spacecraft disciplines to set thermal hardware requirements, such as temperature ranges, conductances, optical properties, etc.
- Create and maintain tools/systems for managing inputs and outputs of the thermal analysis team and distributing temperature predictions and other thermal requirements to the hardware design teams.
- Inform component level acceptance and qualification tests, as well as directing vehicle level TVAC test campaigns.
- Provide thermal guidance to mission operations and hardware decisions.
- Post-flight correlations to assess performance and improve thermal models.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical field with 3+ years experience performing vehicle level spacecraft thermal analysis in Thermal Desktop software.
- Experience performing detailed thermal analysis in programs such as ANSYS static and transient thermal (or equivalent).
- Intermediate level skills in Matlab (or equivalent) for data processing and task automation.
- Ability to provide definition to open ended problems and perform initial sizing with hand calcs in programs such as Excel.
- Familiarity with thermal margins and test requirements in SMC-S-016
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an aptitude for interdisciplinary technical communication
- Ability to successfully respond to evolving requirements in a fast-moving organization
- Excitement about making history at the forefront of both the space and pharmaceutical industries
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience of the entire project lifecycle of a spacecraft, from initial concept to mission success
- Familiarity with typical spacecraft thermal control technologies (e.g. heat pipes, pumped fluid systems, thermal blankets, optical coatings, etc.)
- Project management or project leadership experience
- Master’s degree in an engineering discipline
Salary Range: $108,000-138,000.00
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
- Exciting team of professionals at the top of their field to working by your side
- Working in El Segundo, CA - an awesome Southern California beach city with quick access to entertainment and outdoor activities
- Equity in a fully funded space startup with potential for significant growth
- 401(k) matching
- Unlimited PTO
- Health insurance, including Vision and Dental
- Lunch and snacks provided on site every day. Dinners provided twice a week.
- Maternity / Paternity leave
Varda Space Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, martial status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.
Varda Space Industries, Inc. participates in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security E-Verify program. The E-Verify program is an Internet-based employment eligibility verification system operated by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Learn more about the E-Verify program.
E-Verify Notice Right To Work Notice