Staff TPM, Platform Engineering
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2023
About The JobThe Uber Technical Program Management team plays a very important role implementing high-impact org-wide initiatives and continuously improving processes to increase the effectiveness of all our engineering organizations.Platform Engineering comprises organizations spanning Infrastructure Foundations, Compute, Network, Storage, Data, ML/AI, and more. We provide the platforms, tools and abstractions that our developers across Uber leverage to build extraordinary products and deliver magical experiences to our end customers. What You'll DoTPMs move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex and strategic multi-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, factual and productive and break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. Building trust across the organization, you are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with appreciation and integrity.
- Manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives. Work with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define breakthroughs and handle resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project collaborators. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve daring goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, lead issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing challenging priorities. Get results proactively.
- Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Help own the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key partners to develop concepts for central initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
- Continuously improve and scale the organization. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and standard methodologies that can be adopted throughout the organization. Improve product development and delivery. Mentor project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience as a Technical Program Manager or Engineering Manager in a software, SaaS, or systems development environment
- Technical experience of large scale compute infrastructure, storage technologies, data lake systems, and ML/AI infrastructure
- Solid technical curiosity and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges, and risks. Engineers will enjoy working closely with you.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence.
- Shown strong cross-team and cross-org partner management.
- Analytical and truth seeking. Ability to understand various concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills to juggle many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items.
- Excellent in identifying process gaps, measuring progress, and balancing engineering and product efficiency with process overhead.
- Solid background in systems engineering, hardware/Linux OS/kernel knowledge.
- Strong experience in multi-cloud infrastructure systems.
- Strong software development and distributed systems experience.
- Computer Science degree, or related field.