Software Engineer (L3) - Marketplace
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Software Engineer on the Marketplace team
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to contribute as a developer and operator of the Marketplace product by building features, implementing system improvements, and informing the future of the product.
Twilio Marketplace platform, also known as Add-Ons, allows external developers to create custom integrations to extend the functionality of the Twilio core platform and publish those as add-ons for Twilio customers to use at cost. Twilio’s Marketplace team is looking for a software engineer to help grow and mature the platform to scale with Twilio.
We seek a motivated, empathetic, customer-serving engineer and leader who wants to help Twilio fuel the future of communication. The person in this role will implement solutions for both internal Twilio product teams and external Twilio customers.
In this role, you’ll:
- Design, implement, test rigorously and support microservices at scale in a collaborative environment.
- Advocate for and implement operational best practices and serve on-call for the team’s services.
- Demonstrate quickness in learning and interest in teaching others. Take part in sprint and quarterly planning ceremonies.
- Contribute to a highly collaborative team, sharing your ideas and requesting feedback.
- Communicate complex ideas simply through verbal and written communication. Engineering teams are autonomous mini-startups at Twilio.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 3-5 years experience in backend software engineering, preferably with Java.
- Fluency in one programming language and experience with a few.
- Experience consuming and designing mature REST APIs.
- Demonstrated cross-team communication and collaboration skills.
- Worked on an engineering team implementing engineering best practices in all phases of the software development life cycle.
- Experience implementing or operating fault-tolerant backend services on top of AWS managed services (like databases, caches).
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience.
- Deployment and operational experience with services on Kubernetes and associated tooling (kubctl, ArgoCD).
- Exposure to high traffic, highly scalable systems and complex code bases.
- Familiarity with observability tooling (Grafana, Datadog, Rollbar, etc).
This role will be remote, and based in the USA.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado, California, New York, and Washington. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The estimated pay ranges for this role are as follows:
- Based in Colorado: $132,320 - $165,400
- Based in New York, Washington State or California (outside the San Francisco Bay Area): $140,080 - $175,100.
- Based in the San Francisco Bay area, California: $155,600 - $194,500.
- This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.