Software Engineer (L2)
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as Twilio’s next Software Engineer in the Customer Developer Experience Platform.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a global company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business.
About the job
This position is needed to build and scale systems in Twilio’s Conversations and Authy division.
As a Software Engineer in this group, you’ll be responsible for partnering with product managers, architects, and other engineers to develop new services and scale existing ones to support Twilio’s Customer Developer Experience Platform. The day-to-day will revolve around designing and implementing new Java services, interacting cross-team to develop exciting new features, and enhancing existing services to meet the demands of our customers.
In this role, you’ll:
- Build APIs, storage systems, cache layers and workflows to support complex business logic.
- Keep our stack up and running while following a quality-first mindset. Support production operations, building, releasing, and participating in an on-call rotation.
- Collaborate with other engineers, product managers, designers, and architects both inside and outside of the immediate team.
- Consistently share your ideas and request feedback. Mentor more junior engineers to grow professionally.
- Participate in agile development with rapid, iterative, frequently deployed applications.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 2-5+ years of experience with building, maintaining and scaling backend services in Java.
- Experience with technologies like EC2, DynamoDB, OpenSearch, Redis, and Kafka.
- Prior exposure to service-oriented architectures, microservices and REST APIs.
- Experience with designing and operating reliable, scalable systems.
- Schedule: ability to work non-standard, on-call rotation weekend and holiday hours.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Prior knowledge and experience with Dropwizard or Spring Boot applications.
- Observability tooling (Prometheus, Datadog, Rollbar…).
This role will be based in our Tallinn, Estonia office or remotely in Estonia.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.