Full Stack Software Engineer L2
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Full Stack Software Engineer on the Engage CX Content Personalization team
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to grow and evolve our Content Personalization team. The content personalization team is a new team within Twilio Engage that is responsible for building tools and features for customers to personalize messages in various marketing channels (SMS/MMS/Whatsapp/Email) in Twilio Engage. Twilio Engage brings together Segment, SendGrid, and Twilio into a single product, enabling marketers to create omni-channel, hyper-personalized experiences at every step of the customer engagement lifecycle. The Content Personalization team is growing rapidly, and we are seeking a Full Stack Engineer to join our team. This role will help define and build the platform and primitives necessary to create a seamless onboarding experience as well as providing customers with the systems and tools needed to create hyper-personalized content experiences.
Today our product requires scaling a complex front-end while still delivering new rich UI features. The design challenges are meaty, and you’ll be expected to work closely with design and research to iterate on a fast-changing product.
You will need to understand and articulate the trade-offs between new functionality and stability. You will need to persuade all involved to make the right architectural choices for the long term technical and financial health of the product.
In this role, you’ll:
- Build out new functionality within a young product seeing rapid adoption
- Work with a team of engineers through difficult architectural trade-offs
- Collaborate on detailed design documents and action plans for features slated for development
- Support strategic technical initiatives that impact the entire engineering organization
- Rapidly acquire new technical skills and knowledge in a fast-paced, high-delivery environment
- Manage your work through the use of Github, Jira, and our build/deploy systems
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 2+ years experience writing production-grade code in a modern programming language (language agnostic)
- 2+ years of fullstack development experience, ideally in a microservice architecture using languages such as Node.js and Go or Python
- You are experienced in building and maintaining highly available and scalable systems
- Good grasp of software engineering and how to build a system in scalable and extensive manner;
- Understanding of concurrency, database, and message queue is a plus;
- Experience crafting APIs, like you understand that a good API contract is a critical part of a good UI
- Operated services end-to-end, from requirements gathering and design, to debugging and testing, to release management and operational monitoring
- An entrepreneurial approach, ready to assemble and lead cross-functional teams
- Excellent collaborator. Ability to foster alignment cross-functionally and cross-organizationally
- Schedule: Ability to work non-standard, on-call rotation weekend and holiday hours, shared evenly with all engineers on the team. We believe that we are responsible for the code we write and how it runs in production
- You have a strong understanding of UX patterns and are passionate about building intuitive UIs that customers will love
- You love partnering with design to create impactful customer experiences and not just implementing designs that are tossed over the fence
- You’ve had experience with at least one of GraphQL or REST
- You've worked on high-scale web applications and understand the architecture patterns that make them successful (e.g., well-designed APIs, efficient algorithms)
- A highly effective collaborator, you work well with your team and your partners in product and design towards common goals
This role will be remote, and based in the USA.
No mandatory travel is anticipated.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The estimated pay ranges for this role are as follows:
- Based in Colorado: $122,940.00 - $136,600.00.
- This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Something looks off?