Software Engineer II (Java)
Posted on Friday, February 9, 2024
What you’ll do:
- Develop cloud-based (AWS, Azure) transactional map making system used by thousands of editors across the globe (or disk if Flat Earth Society)
- Design and implement processes operating daily on terabytes of geospatial data assuring their performance, scalability and quality
- Use following technology standards – Distributed Systems, Cloud Computing (AWS, Azure), Continuous Deployment (Docker, Terraform, Jenkins), System Monitoring (Kibana, Grafana), Test Automation (Cucumber, JUnit 5), PostgreSQL
- Identify the most appropriate technology to solve the problem, take part in design decisions and estimate your own work
- Exchange knowledge with our talented engineers and solve a wide range of challenging, state of the art algorithmic problems
- Work in the teams that pay attention to high code quality and engineering standards (Sonar, Pull Requests, Pair Programming, TDD, Test Automation, Continuous Integration)
- Work in the teams that directly design and manage their own products (we are not outsourcing – we decide what we do and how we do it)
What you’ll need:
- Good knowledge of Java 8 (or higher) or other object-oriented programming languages
- Practical knowledge of object-oriented design principles and testing practices (Design Patterns, SOLID, TDD, Service Oriented Architecture etc.)
- Practical experience in web services – including high availability, scalability and performance
- Familiarity with at least one script language (Python, Bash, etc.) and Linux environment
- Basic knowledge of SQL databases
- Good communications skills in English – you should be able to read and understand technical documentation and to communicate with colleagues from other locations
- Eagerness to learn a lot of new things and continuously improve your skills, open mind for discussionsWhat’s nice to have
- Experience with cloud computing (AWS/Azure) and distributed systems
- Some GIS background is welcome but is not an absolute must. You will learn it anyway during daily work.
What we offer
A competitive compensation package, of course.
Time and resources to grow and develop, including a personal development budget and paid leave for learning days, as well as paid access to e-learning resources such as O’Reilly and LinkedIn Learning.
Time to support life outside of work, with enhanced parental leave plus paid leave to care for loved ones and volunteer in local communities.
Work from home, the office, or even abroad – each team has the flexibility to choose how they work based on business needs.
Improve your home office with a setup budget and get extra support with a monthly allowance.
Enjoy options to work from your home country and abroad for a set number of days each year, to visit family and friends, or to simply explore the world we’re mapping.
Take the holidays you want with a competitive holiday plan, plus an extra day off to celebrate your birthday.
Join annual events like our Hackathon and DevDays to bring your ideas to life with talented teammates from around the world.
Become a part of our inclusive global culture and have the chance to collaborate with a diverse community – we have over 80 nationalities at TomTom!
Find out more about our global benefits and enjoy additional local benefits tailored to your location.
Meet your team
We’re Maps, a global team within TomTom’s Location Technology Products technical unit. Our team is driven to deliver the most up-to-date, accurate and detailed maps for hundreds of millions of users around the world. Joining our team, you’ll continuously innovate our mapmaking processes, directly contributing to our vision: engineering the world's most trusted and useful map.
You’ll help people find their way in the world. In 2004, TomTom revolutionized how the world moves with the introduction of the first portable navigation device. Now, we intend to do it again by engineering the first-ever real-time map, the smartest and most useful map on the planet.
Work with a team of 3,800+ unique, curious and passionate problem-solvers. Together, we’ll open up a world of possibilities for car manufacturers, enterprises and developers to help people understand and get closer to the world around them.
After you apply
Our recruitment team will work hard to give you a meaningful experience throughout your journey with us, no matter the outcome. Your application will be screened closely and you can rest assured that all follow-up actions will be thorough, from assessments and interviews all the way through onboarding. To find out more about our application process, check out our hiring FAQs.
TomTom is an equal opportunity employer
TomTom is where you can find your place in the world. Every day we welcome, nurture and celebrate differences. Why? Because your uniqueness is what makes you, you. No matter your culture or background, you’ll find your impact at TomTom. Research also shows that sometimes women and underrepresented communities can be hesitant to apply for positions unless they believe they meet 100% of the criteria. If you can relate to this, please know that we’d love to hear from you.
Share this job
Apply to this Job