Tomorrow.io’s Space & Sensors team is responsible for the development of unique RF-based sensing systems, such as radar, radiometer and sonar, from architecture through implementation. The team is also responsible for the development of corresponding spacecraft and constellations in support of Tomorrow.io’s Operation Tomorrow Space, which will collect data to be integrated seamlessly into our existing forecasting and modeling systems, revolutionizing global weather intelligence.
We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer to join a cutting edge, multidisciplinary team to help us execute complex development programs. Applications include, but are not limited to, weather and climate remote sensing, navigation and situational awareness, as well as enabling the most capable weather intelligence platform in the world. As a Mechanical Engineer at Tomorrow.io, you will play a critical role in hardware and sensor development through all phases of the development cycle: requirements gathering and definition, design, development, prototyping, implementation, testing, integration, calibration, and documentation.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and document requirements and specifications of mechanical hardware and systems then generate design concepts in conformance with requirements to arrive at optimum design configurations.
- CreateSolidWorks CAD solid models, mass models, and Finite Element Analyses (FEA) to design robust, manufacturable, waveguides, components, and enclosures with proper fit/function.
- Generate component drawings, assembly drawings, and interface control documents with application of GD&T per ASME Y14.5.
- Work with machine shops to coordinate fabrication and assembly of new designs.
- Work closely with Electrical, RF hardware, software, systems and test engineers within small engineering design teams.
What you bring:
- MUST have B.S. in Mechanical Engineering. Entry level position for junior Mechanical Engineer with 0-5 years of experience.
- Direct experience in mechanical component and enclosure design and analysis including mass properties, thermal, and vibration analyses using 3D modeling and finite element analysis. Experience with SolidWorks is a plus.
- A strong systems perspective in understanding the relationship to other subsystems; requirements, ICDs, tolerance analysis, design for manufacturing, etc.
- A self-starting leadership approach to apply strong analytical and problem solving skills to operate both as an individual contributor and as owner of a design.
- Strong communication and technical writing skills and ability to work well collaboratively in a team environment as well as independently.
- Experience with satellites or satellite subsystems is a plus
This position requires access to technology that is controlled under U.S. export control laws and regulations. Accordingly, this position is restricted to U.S. citizens, permanent residents and protected individuals unless and until any required licenses are obtained.
So if your passion is to design a cutting edge next-generation RADAR to provide weather intelligence to the world and have fun while doing so, then this team is for you.
If you have reached this point and you are super excited but not sure you check all the boxes - we still want to speak with you! Your passion is priceless. Other things can be learned.
Anticipated salary range is $110K-$140K, subject to local market and a candidate’s skills and experience. Health, leave and other benefits included. Relocation assistance may be offered / available.
Tomorrow.io is helping Countries, Businesses and Individuals better manage their Climate Security Challenges. Fully customizable to any industry impacted by the weather, customers around the world including Uber, Delta, Ford, National Grid and more use Tomorrow.io to dramatically improve operational efficiency. Tomorrow.io was built from the ground up to help teams predict the business impact of weather, streamline team communication and action plans, improve productivity, and optimize profit margins.
Space: In case you have not heard, we are also going to space with our Operation Tomorrow Space initiative. We are building the first-of-its-kind proprietary satellites equipped with radar, and launching them into space to improve weather forecasting technology for everyone on Earth.
How we roll: We work in an “one office” environment. We believe that magic happens when people work together. Together also includes Zoom meetings, flexible hours and unlimited vacation days. Your success is achieved by your impact and deliveries and not by the hours you put in. We believe in transparency and directness, putting work before ego and empathy. We grow fast and move faster but we always see people first. Each person has their own career growth path for we believe that the only way for the company to grow is if you grow.