Senior Machine Learning Engineer
About This Role
Strava is the leading digital community for active people, with more than 120 million athletes in more than 190 countries. The platform offers a holistic view of your active lifestyle, no matter where you live, which sport you love, and/or what device you use. Everyone belongs on Strava when they are pursuing an active life.
This role is on the AI and Machine Learning team, which is responsible for building ML models that power key product experiences on Strava. These models help enable personalization, recommendation, growth modeling, activity analysis, search, and many other key components of the Strava platform.
The AI and ML team is hiring a full-stack ML engineer responsible for working on all parts of the ML pipeline. This includes prototyping and building ML models, deploying models, building production data pipelines, writing server-side production code, and production dev ops.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Work at the intersection of AI and fitness to build product experiences that will be used by tens of millions of active people worldwide
- Spearhead key projects powered by ML on the Strava platform end-to-end, from initial model prototyping to shipping production code
- Contribute to a highly collaborative team with a range of experience levels.
- Explore Strava’s extensive dataset to find novel approaches that can be uniquely solved with ML approaches.
You will be successful here by:
- Being passionate about the work you are doing and contributing positively to Strava’s inclusive and collaborative team culture and values
- Collaborating closely with product teams to design, develop, and ship your projects
- Owning your work end-to-end and being accountable for the outcomes
- Applying a growth mindset to constantly be proactive about learning new skills
- Working closely with and helping mentor other ML engineers on the team
We’re excited about you because you:
- Have experience building, shipping, and supporting ML models in production at scale
- Have experience with exploratory data analysis and model prototyping, using languages such as Python or R and tools like Scikit learn, Pandas, Numpy, Pytorch, Sagemaker
- Have built and worked on data pipelines using big data technologies (like Spark, Hadoop, EMR, SQL, Snowflake)
- Are experienced and interested in production ML model operational excellence and best practices, like automated model retraining, performance monitoring, feature logging
- Have built backend cloud-based services in a production environment, using languages like (but not limited to) Ruby, Java, Scala, Python, Go, and tools like AWS
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. With billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and adventurous vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. Just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community. We are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture, and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.