Director of Software Development, Constellation Services
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire’s Constellation Services group develops the interfaces used by our customers to design, test, deploy and operate space-based software applications. In some cases these applications run on standard Spire hardware, and in some cases on hosted payloads custom-designed by us or our customers.
As the Engineering Director for our Constellation Services group, you’ll drive the development and execution of the roadmap across application development, testing, deployment, and tasking and operations. Your duties will include defining software interfaces enabling zero NRE integrations that let developers achieve mission critical business objectives in a multi-tenancy environment.
You will interface with the product function and our technical program managers to develop elegant technical solutions to customer needs together with your team of developers distributed between Europe and the US. Key engineering partners include the constellation pipeline team, the constellation optimization team, the satellite platform team, and the program managers.
You will make sure the technical vision of the team is aligned with business priorities and implemented on time and on quality. This includes supporting the bottom up ideation, creation, and curation of technical proposals that is core to Spire’s culture.
You will be part of a nimble and autonomous team, yet have access to resources of the rest of Spire’s 150+ person engineering organization including SREs, security engineers, and infrastructure tooling.
- 5 years of experience in engineering as an individual contributor.
- 5 year leading engineering teams.
- Professional experience working in at least one interpreted language.
- Professional experience working in at least one compiled language.
The list below includes things that we would love to see in a candidate:
- Excellent ability to communicate verbally and in writing at all levels, from technical IC to C-level exec both internally and externally.
- Experience developing software for resource constrained environments like embedded ARM devices
- Experience writing Python
- Experience writing Rust
- Previous experience running a team delivering an API-based product or product family
- Experience with Kubernetes, CI/CD pipelines, and debugging operational application issues.
- In-depth knowledge of API design principles and best practices, caching strategies, and designing for resiliency and scalability.
- Strong relational and non-relational database skills.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Something looks off?