Civil Engineer, Starbase Development (Starship)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
CIVIL ENGINEER, STARBASE DEVELOPMENT
Our elite Starbase Development team owns the design, build, and commissioning of infrastructure, housing, amenities, and community spaces at the Starbase Rocket Production and Launch Facility. You will have the opportunity to drive positive change and own projects from start to finish, directly impacting the footprint of the Starship Program. This challenge isn’t for everyone, but hardcore projects require hardcore people. If you are a high performing engineer, and want to spearhead the effort toward the goal of making Starbase a world-class city, we want to hear from you.
As a member of the team you can expect:
- A dynamic role doing what you’re best at; designing and building infrastructure, housing, amenities, and community spaces for future of the program
- A tremendously immersive, fast-paced environment. You’ll be expected to own large business outcomes and experience a rate of personal and professional growth that is unmatched literally anywhere else
- An in-house consulting and construction organization with direct daily access to the most senior leaders in the field that will support in eliminating blockers and accelerate build schedules. The future leaders of the Civil industry and SpaceX will be forged at Starbase empowered with next generation technologies and tools
- The unique opportunity to witness an impossible idea manifest in real life. The next few years will be incredibly dynamic as we expand the foundation for enabling human life on Mars
- An unparalleled sense of accomplishment if we succeed, excitement guaranteed
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of professional experience in civil engineering design, analysis, and drafting (competition team or intern experience qualifies)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- EIT or Professional Engineering (PE) license
- 2+ years of professional experience in the civil engineering land development industry
- Previous experience with civil design software packages like StormCAD, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS
- Experience with AutoCAD Civil3D (grading to create a Civil 3D surface file, earthwork volume takeoffs, plan and profile creation, base model setup among other items)
- Knowledge of processes of governing permitting and/or environmental agencies
- Understanding of other disciplines such as electrical, piping, geotechnical, electrical and surveying
- Experience with project management of major construction projects including estimating, cost control, schedule, and contractor management
- Experience reading, reviewing, and approving shop and fabrication drawings, blueprints, and technical manuals
- This position is based in Starbase, TX (Brownsville) and requires being onsite – remote work not considered
- Ability to perform hands-on work in all environments (heat, cold, rain), in tight quarters or at heights
- Ability to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- Ability to remain focused while working in hazardous environments, while wearing appropriate PPE
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Civil Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Civil Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.