Mechanisms Build Engineer (Starship)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANISMS BUILD ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
To enable rapid reusability of our launch vehicles, mechanical systems will need to be greatly simplified, more reliable, and easier to manufacture. The Mechanisms Build Engineer will drive the design and activation of the next-generation production line, spearhead design for manufacturing, and manufacture high-power actuators for Starship and Super Heavy vehicles. These mechanisms are used in various applications, including propellant delivery, actuation of control surfaces, and Raptor thrust vector control.
- Drive design and development of mechanical system manufacturing
- Partner with design and analysis engineers to drive novel and innovative ways to produce complex mechanisms faster and with higher reliability
- Conduct manufacturing reviews with stakeholders and customers
- Manage on-site integration of hardware and implement integration feedback to optimize build processes and planning
- Develop and drive manufacturing-specific improvements
- Own day-to-day operations and uphold quality on the production floor
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience analyzing, designing, building, or testing complex systems (competition team or internship experience qualifies)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience building hardware or have a passion for contributing to a work product that operates in the real world
- Demonstrated rapid growth. You’ve held successive positions of increasing responsibility within an organization, were able to get yourself up to speed at a heroic pace, and accomplished something meaningfully difficult early in your career
- Experience using a high-end CAD software design package (e.g. NX, CATIA, Solidworks, etc.)
- Experience fabricating large metallic structures and/or mechanisms
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Understanding of build considerations including design for rapid manufacturability, testing requirements for mechanisms, corrosion resistance, and inspection techniques
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment with engineers, technicians, and leaders to improve new and existing designs
- Able to respond to emergencies to support priority projects, missions, and launches
- Available to work extended hours and weekends as needed; flexibility is required
- Able to work in extreme outdoor environments when needed – heat, cold, wind, rain, etc.
- Able to work in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Working conditions may be in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings, and climbing hand over hand
- Able to lift heavy objects up to 25 lbs. unassisted
- Ability to work on ladders, lifts, and at elevated heights (up to 300 feet) with proper PPE
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Mechanisms Build Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Mechanisms Build Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.