Network Operations Engineer (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
NETWORK OPERATIONS ENGINEER (STARLINK)
As a Starlink Network Operations Engineer, you will be responsible for operating the growing Starlink Network as it scales to millions of users around the globe. You will manage critical investigations of enterprise and end-user customer issues and develop monitoring and debug tooling and procedures. You will manage changes and maintenances required to improve and sustain service for users while responding to real-time anomalies – mitigating their impact before significant service degradation occurs. You will work with subsystem responsible engineers, software engineers, guidance navigation and control engineers, and network engineers to develop alerts, mitigations, and upgrades to orbital and terrestrial assets and drive improvements to core Starlink algorithms. You will provide support for enterprise clients as they bring high-speed internet to markets that have never had it before. Through continuous improvement, you will drive process and automation upgrades to the point of minimal manual intervention.
- Develop operational strategies for new enterprise applications of Starlink and provide ongoing support for high value enterprise clients
- Provide centralized awareness and management of routine and emergency maintenance performed by SpaceX personnel and partner contractors
- Detect and triage emerging anomalies on satellites, ground stations, terrestrial networking hardware, and core Starlink algorithms
- Measure, preserve, and improve the uptime and performance of the Starlink network
- Closely collaborate across engineering disciplines to create highly operable and maintainable infrastructure
- Develop, follow and improve processes used for managing the Starlink network
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline; OR 2+ years of professional hands-on experience working for an ISP (Internet Service Provider) or in an enterprise Network Operation Center (NOC) or Security Operation Center (SOC)
- Operational experience in a Linux and Windows production environment and server virtualization
- Experience with Python, SQL, and/or bash scripting
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline
- Experience with debugging complex systems with data analysis
- Understanding of service provider and home networks technologies including but not limited to:
- Connectivity (Ethernet, WiFi, WDM, IPv4 and IPv6)
- Switching (MPLS, QinQ)
- Routing (BGP, OSPF, IS-IS)
- Subscriber Management (BNG, RADIUS/AAA, QoS, BSS/OSS integration)
- Network security and Anti-DDoS measures
- Internet services (DNS, DHCP, NTP, UPnP, NAT etc.)
- Experience with hands-on work in bringing up network infrastructure
- Experience creating documentation and procedures
- Ability to run projects independently
- Current associate level networking certification (JNCIA, CCNA or equivalent)
- Must be available for on-call and on-shift rotations
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Network Operations Engineer/Level I: $100,000 - $120,000.00/per year
Network Operations Engineer/Level II: $115,000.00 - $135,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.