Vessel Manager (Marine Operations)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
VESSEL MANAGER (MARINE OPERATIONS)
SpaceX is looking for an experienced, dynamic and thoughtful leader to help manage fleet operations, crewing rotations, training, and vessel readiness through this principally shore-based role that will help ensure mission success in SpaceX’s offshore recovery operations in the Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, and the Caribbean Sea.
- Fulfill infrequent offshore mission support as required to maintain mission continuity in the event of unusual circumstances
- Help refine and audit readiness standards across the entire SpaceX marine operations fleet while supporting ongoing operations
- Coordinate a demanding offshore recovery schedule by synchronizing across port scheduling, crewing, logistics, and other internal processes required to support offshore space hardware recovery
- Support planning and maintenance of logistical support that support ongoing operations and ensure full-life support of the SpaceX fleet of vessels
- Coordinate engineering changes required to support mission operations, including but not limited to: management of design change documentation, and coordination of testing and training
- Bachelor's degree
- Merchant Mariner credential (MMC)
- Chief Engineer Limited credential
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Dynamic positioning unlimited certification (DP2)
- 3+ years of professional experience working in a role that deals with examinations or licensing-efforts with US Coast Guard (USCG) and/or American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) regulations
- Bachelor's degree in naval architecture, marine engineering, mechanical engineering, or other technical discipline
- Current (non-expired) USCG license, and ability to pass relevant USCG examinations, federal facility background checks, re-certifications, and chemical testing
- Knowledge of vessel management systems, safety management systems, and regulatory programs such as OPA 90, MARPOL, ABS classing, etc.
- Willingness to sail, if needed to support off-shore missions depending on resources available
- Willing to work outdoors and in maritime environments, and able to work flexible hours during mission support periods. This will be an active physical role
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated leadership experience synchronizing complex operations
- Exceptional teaming and organizational skills with a collaborative approach
- Significant experience managing multiple vessel operations, crews, maintenance, logistical support, training, and planning
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral
- Must be willing to travel to other SpaceX locations as necessary; role may require travel
- 50-hour work week is typical, and may vary depending on site operational needs, flexibility is required
- Position is subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Vessel Manager: $110,000.00 - $145,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.