Engineering Program Manager (EPM)
Location: Mountain View, CA
Role Type: Full Time
Salary range: The typical salary range for this position is $130,000 to $160,000
Skylo Technologies is a global NTN service provider based in Mountain View, CA, offering a service that allows smartphone and IoT cellular devices to connect directly over existing satellites. Skylo works with existing satellite operators, network operators, and device makers to provide subscribers an anywhere, anytime connectivity solution that seamlessly roams between terrestrial and satellite networks. Skylo's focus is on enabling connected services for people outdoors and connected workflows for machines at work across critical industries such as agriculture, maritime, logistics, mining, and others, in addition to mass-market consumer devices.
Skylo Technologies is hiring an Engineering Program Manager (EPM). This person will act as the primary programmatic interface between Engineering teams and Customer and our Product team in the consistent delivery of high quality features and products to our customers. The right candidate will combine a depth of technical knowledge with a passion for enabling engineering teams to find a way to deliver on their commitments. This is a pivotal role that requires a powerful combination of design, development and deployment experience, project and team leadership, and an ability to thoroughly understand the needs of our customers as articulated by Product Managers and translate these into tangible work packages for the Engineering team.
- Orchestrate requirements grooming activities in which Product Managers detail their system-level requirements to Principal Engineers and Architects in sufficient detail to enable the development of high-level designs
- Ensure the rapid evolution of design activity to converge on tangible deliverables with predictable levels of development effort across all engineering disciplines
- Match the needed development activities with the capacity and capabilities of the teams to define coherent and predictable sprints which deliver tangible value to customers while maximizing the productivity of the teams
- Develop, maintain and effectively employ our Jira workflow management system to accurately track progress toward delivery commitments in a proactive manner that enables the teams to identify developing shortcomings in time to implement corrective actions without compromising quality or failing to deliver on their commitments
- Create an environment among engineering teams that empowers developers to identify and solve problems and consistently meet aggressive delivery goals
- Implement mechanisms which enable teams to continuously raise the bar on the quality, predictability and volume of product and feature deliveries they are able to produce in each sprint
- Inculcate accountability and ownership within the team - YBYO (You build it, you own it!) by promoting robust automation tests, resilient CI/CD guidelines and/or documentation practices.
- Provide project management support to key Skylo partner and customer projects such as network integrations or deployments.
- BE/BTech in Electronics/Electrical/Computer Science Engineering, Computer Science, or related field with minimum 8 years of experience.
- Advanced level of Jira/Confluence expertise, preferably including experience using JQL to develop custom dashboards and filters
- Prior experience in automation to enhance team productivity as well as integration of development tools such as GitHub/BitBucket with Jira to create branches within Jira issues in order to provide visibility into reviews, builds and deployments.
- Thorough understanding of and experience implementing and using a variety of Agile methods and frameworks including Scrum, Kanban and Extreme Programming. Scrum Master certification is highly desirable
- The successful candidate will have a solid grasp of the entire product development life cycle, from initial concept and requirements elicitation all the way through deployment and maintenance
- Hands-on development experience in one or more of the following technical areas:
- Managed services API platform based on micro-services and event driven architecture
- Implementation of 3GPP telecommunication systems (4G/5G) protocols and stacks, preferably within a facilities-based network service provider (MNO)
- Mobile application technologies/frameworks, platforms (Android and iOS), and architecture
What we offer:
With employees working across three continents, Skylo is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. Our worldwide and inclusive culture encourages a flexible approach to work, and we also offer an attractive range of additional benefits. such as:
- Competitive compensation packages including a stock option based equity program
- Benefits including a 401k plan
- An unlimited PTO policy and the opportunity to temporarily work from abroad
- Unique opportunity to participate in developing and running world’s first software-defined direct-to-device satellite network and service
- Access to world-class team and talent across tech domains: software, hardware, chipsets, telecom, satellite and network virtualization
- Open, transparent, inclusive culture that blends the Silicon Valley, Nordic and South Asia characteristics