Avionics Technician III
Sierra Space—based in Louisville, CO with operations in Madison, WI, Durham, NC, Huntsville, AL, Houston, TX, and Kennedy Space Center, FL—designs and manufactures the Dream Chaser spaceplane and other advanced spacecraft, commercial space destinations, satellites, propulsion and environmental systems, spacecraft subsystems and components for the U.S. government (including NASA), commercial customers, and international organizations. Learn more about Sierra Space
• Work from blueprints and approved technical documents to construct developmental assemblies, sub-assemblies and components
• Complete parts lists, checks drawings, work within the systems to certify assemblies
• Responsible for crimping, soldering, splicing, and routing electrical cable harnesses
• Building and troubleshooting components for electrical assemblies
• Use standard assembly tools and materials
• May perform modifications and rework with oversight
• Working in an ESD environment
• Testing electrical assemblies by manual and automated means
• High school diploma or GED equivalent.
• Associates in aviation maintenance (or certification including non-accredited trade schools) or comparable technical experience in welding, aviation, engineering or related fields.
• A higher-level degree may substitute for experience
• Related experience may be considered in lieu of required education
• Ability to understand and interpret basic applicable technical schematics, diagrams, blueprints, manuals, and/or publications; ability to route wires per technical drawings
• Advanced skills with avionics installation tooling, wiring, wiring repair, wiring installation, soldering, and crimping techniques
• Experience with navigating 3-D CAD software
• Ability to work [Day Shift, Night Shift, Weekend Day, Weekend Night]
• Typically 4 or more years of relevant experience
• Familiarity with FCC and FCC GROL
• Avionics certificate
• Familiarity with IPC/WHMA-A-620, or NASA-STD-8739.4
• Basic understanding of spectrometer, Oscilloscope and/or Pitot static equipment
• Experience with respirator training, working in confined spaces, or operating an overhead/ Gantry crane
• The ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance may be required Learn more about the background check process for Security Clearances
To conform to U.S. Government international trade regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce.
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars. The company has technology in production and in development to enable space habitats for short- and long-duration space travel, a fleet of Dream Chaser spaceplanes, and the first free-flying commercial space station. Please visit www.sierraspace.com to learn more about Sierra Space, its business areas, capabilities, programs, products and services.
- Frequently walk, sit, stand, climb stairs and steps
- Frequently repeat same hand, arm, and finger motion many times to include finger and hand dexterity
- Frequently requires vision abilities to include close, distance, depth perception, and telling the difference between colors
- Frequently requires hearing abilities to include discerning different tones and volumes
- Occasionally lifting or carrying up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently exposed to outdoor elements (high/low temperatures, sun, rain/snow, etc.)
- Frequently exposed to fumes or hazardous chemicals/materials
- Frequently exposed to loud noises
Safety Sensitive Position:
- Responsible for the safety or security of people or property
- Inspects, handles, or transports explosives, dangerous or hazardous materials
- Inspects structures, equipment or vehicles
- Performs aviation related duties
- Operate or supervise vehicles, heavy or dangerous equipment or machinery
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.