Mechanical Development Engineer | Fluids
About The Role
Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
About the role
Development Engineers deliver across a broad set of vehicle domains including structural (i.e. Propellant tanks, interstages, fairings), mechanical (i.e. stage separation, landing, aerodynamic control), fluid (i.e. pressurant, propellant management, ignition, HVAC), and thermal (i.e. routing insulation) systems.
This role will work directly with analysis and manufacturing engineers to produce concepts, detailed designs, and drawing packages for fluidic components & assemblies and to perform development & qualification tests, refine designs, and ensure Neutron's materials, components, and assemblies meet their functional and performance requirements.
Day to day, your key responsibilities will include:
- Produce & rapidly iterate conceptual designs in CAD for fluid components and ducting across the Neutron launch vehicle;
- Design elements including plumbing routing, joint details, and structural supports, working closely with analysts to ensure designs are appropriately sized and structural & thermal requirements are met;
- Prepare drawing packages, working directly with the production team to ensure design for manufacture is maintained throughout the process;
- Lead the testing of structures and mechanisms, including composites and metallic components, integrated structural, mechanical and fluids assemblies;
- Develop test plans, monitor test activities, and post-process and document test data to verify functional and performance requirements;
- Develop and execute test activities to characterise structural materials, interfaces, and sub-components
- Produce test jigs / fixtures to aid with fabrication, assembly, and development testing of components & assemblies;
- Proactively identify and solve technical challenges to allow projects to proceed at pace;
- Mentor, and technically assist junior engineers.
- Aerospace, mechanical, or mechatronic engineering degree or equivalent qualification
- 3-5 years designing high performance mechanical systems
- Experience with CAD software such as NX (preferred), Fibersim (preferred), Solidworks, CATIA
- The ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines · Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team environment
- Sound analytical skills and the ability to see the big picture and making connections and appropriate decisions
- Have tenacity, a can-do attitude, and the ability to think quickly and make accurate judgements
- Strong understanding of fluid systems (component design, system design, design best practices, analysis methods, and design for manufacture processes)
- Experience in one of the following domain areas:
- Cryogenic systems
- Pressurised systems
- Mechanical moving assemblies
- Fluid Systems
- Hands-on composites manufacturing experience
Rocket Lab Employee Benefits
- The opportunity to work on innovative and ground breaking technology
- An employee stock purchase program
- Access to world leading experts to develop your career
- Unlimited barista coffee, fruit, and snacks
- Rocket Lab merchandise - T-shirts, mission patches etc.
- Discounted health insurance with Southern Cross
- Additional parental leave entitlements
- A vibrant team culture with social activities throughout the year
If the above sounds like you apply now!
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.
Something looks off?