Senior CNC Programmer
A rocket company at the core, Relativity Space is on a mission to become the next great commercial launch company. Meeting the needs of a growing demand for space infrastructure, our rockets will revolutionize how we connect and communicate on Earth by getting satellites to space. We have developed a vertically integrated technology platform in which we leverage additive manufacturing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics to 3D print rockets. Our unique approach enables rapid product iteration, allowing us to push the boundaries of what's possible today and unlock the full potential of 3D printing for tomorrow. Join us on this extraordinary journey, as we work together to transform our vision into reality.
Relativity seeks a highly talented CNC Programmer/Machinist to join a rapidly growing space startup. This role falls under the Machining Services team. We are responsible for sourcing and developing in-house machining capabilities, and meeting the machining demands of the enterprise. This position will provide outstanding technical contribution in the development of the Terran R launch vehicle, as well as helping to build a world-class machine shop. A high degree of autonomy and initiative is required.
What you’ll do:
Our mission is to change people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As CNC Programmer/Machinist, you will develop the programs, post G-code, and machine a variety of 3d-printed engine parts. You will develop first article programs and optimize them into production programs. You must be able to write a manufacturing plan, develop your own tooling and fixtures, and collaborate with manufacturing engineers to develop new machining processes.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to drive their own projects to completion. You must have the passion, tenacity and resolve to work through challenging issues unique to precision-machined hardware. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with multidisciplinary groups. More specifically, we are looking for:
- Someone who can program and operate multi axis machines (2-axis, 3-axis, 5-axis, mill/turn)
- Someone with experience programming and operating DMG-MORI machines (NLX, NTX, DMC FD, and DMU series)
- Someone who can optimize programs and post code using Esprit, Mastercam or similar CAM software
- Someone who has run lights-out production before
What you need to know:
- 8+ years of experience in CNC machining
- 6+ years of programming experience
- Strong knowledge of GD&T and tolerance stack-up
- Strong communication skills and ability to understand work instructions
- Ability to program and operate multi-axis high-precision machines (5-axis, 3 axis, lathe, mill/turn)
- Ability to manually edit G-code paths/settings to optimize production programs
- Ability to perform basic machine maintenance such as oil and coolant refill, including cleaning and sharpening
- Experience creating detailed set up instructions
- Ability to train operators how to set up and run machines
- Experience machining Inconel or similar nickel alloys
- Experience transitioning parts from first article to production
Nice to haves but not required:
- Degree in engineering or related technical field and 7+ years of relevant experience
- Experience machining 3D-printed parts
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment
- Experience working in a flight development program
We believe varied perspectives & backgrounds strengthen our team. Prior experience in aerospace is not required.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Compensation is only one part of our entire total rewards package. To see some of the benefits & perks we offer, please visit here: https://px.sequoia.com/relativityspace