Vay has developed an alternative approach to autonomous driving called teledriving (remote driving) - to solve transportation in metropolitan areas.
Vay is the first company that has driven a car on European public roads with no one inside. Vay is the leading teledriving company setting the global standard for remotely driven vehicles. Vay aims to launch a safe, affordable, and sustainable door-to-door mobility service in the US, Germany and beyond. With its first service, Vay plans to remotely deliver and return electric cars for its customers.
This is very ambitious. And we can’t do it alone. So we'd love to meet you!
As a Backend Engineer on our B2C team you will help bring Vay’s remote driving technology to end customers and have a direct impact on scaling our business. Some of the challenges you will face will be unique, born at the intersection of the traditional mobility domain with our deep tech.
Working side by side with product manager, designer and frontend engineers, you will discuss requirements and goals, author and review design documents, design and implement APIs, continuously deploy code and infrastructure to AWS, be responsible for automation and monitoring. You will also have the rare opportunity to work with people from various engineering domains like electrical and data engineering to drive outcomes at the company level.
Above all, you will be crafting magical user experience by solving problems of fleet and trip state management, dispatch, payments, and more.
- Design and develop Golang-based backend services, APIs and cloud infrastructure as code, incl. CI/CD;
- Contribute to cross-team platform engineering initiatives (shared practices, tools and libraries);
- Work closely with frontend engineers to create elegant holistic solutions with direct impact on the customers and business;
- Collaborate with product management and design to refine product goals and requirements and steer both sprint and quarterly planning;
- Own quality via automation and continuous monitoring;
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or STEM;
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals (algorithms and data structures);
- Experience developing backend services and APIs;
- Proficiency in Golang is preferred, but Java/Python is also acceptable;
- Good knowledge of event-driven architectures, e.g. Kafka, RabbitMQ
- DevOps: CI/CD, infrastructure as code, monitoring;
- Experience with relational databases, e.g. PostgreSQL;
Nice to have:
- Domain knowledge in Mobility, Logistics or Payments
- Experience with NoSQL databases;
- Experience with NodeJS, gRPC, AWS, Terraform;
- Experience working on mobile-first products;
- We pioneer change: At Vay, we’re doing work that has never been done before. This comes with challenges, frustrations and failures along the way. We embrace these challenges through perseverance and innovation, delivering creative solutions to overcome them.
- We fuel collaboration: At Vay, we work as a team and strive for a common goal. We celebrate diversity and encourage different opinions. Our teams and partners communicate and collaborate openly. Together we build, improve, and grow.
- We drive action: At Vay, everyone takes pride and commitment in their role for every task and every challenge. We are biassed towards action and get behind the steering wheel, even when there is none. We are empowered to take initiative and drive it to completion.
- We build trust: At Vay, we consistently do the right thing, and follow through on our commitments to stakeholders, users and society. We understand their expectations and always respond in a way that feels human and respectful. We always put safety first and safety second.
- We create magic: At Vay, we don’t just make things that work, we build products people love. We create unexpected and delightful moments for our riders. We design end-to-end experiences that leave a lasting expression.
- You’ll be joining a highly committed, experienced, fun, and international team from over 30 countries. The team has previously worked at companies such as Tesla, Google, Waymo, Zoox, Byton, Argo, Amazon, Uber as well as Audi, BMW, and Daimler and has founded various companies before
- You would be a part of solving transportation in metropolitan areas all over the world – from Europe
- We organise thoughtful & fun team events throughout the year
- We support flexible working policies
- We provide healthy snacks, drinks, and coffee at our waterfront office in Berlin
- Company ESOP (stock options)
- Free German classes
- Home office budget
Vay is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career.
Come join the future!