Leader of Business Development - Quantum Sensing & Government Engagement (US & UK)
Sales & Business Development
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2023
We hold the key to making quantum technology useful. Q-CTRL is defining the quantum infrastructure software segment, and our products are revolutionizing the way quantum technology is used. From educating the workforce on how quantum computing works with Black Opal, to our industry-first November 2023 announcement that Q-CTRL’s performance-management software is now natively integrated with IBM Quantum services, we are building the global quantum sector. But our work isn’t limited to quantum computing: we go everywhere that quantum goes. In July 2023 our work with Australian Defence on software-ruggedized quantum sensing for navigation without GPS was featured in the New York Times.
We base these world-leading commercial outcomes on a base of transformational research. We operate the industry’s largest team of experts in quantum control, and push the limits of human capability through our software, hardware, and technical publications in the world’s most prestigious scientific journals.
As a high-growth global quantum startup we’ve raised over US $72M since 2017 from investors such as Airbus Ventures, Horizon Ventures, Main Sequence Ventures, SquarePeg Capital, Sierra Ventures, Salesforce Ventures and others; this includes the world’s largest Series B for any quantum software company. Adding to the completion of our new global HQ in Sydney (Australia’s first fully dedicated, commercial quantum technology site), Los Angeles and Berlin offices, we’ve also recently announced our expansion into the UK to continue to impact the development of quantum technology globally.
We’re led by our values; to be real, to be trusted, to be just, and to be revered. We’ve brought together an inspiring team of world-leading physicists, engineers, product and design specialists (to name a few!) to help us shape the future of quantum technology. And we’re looking for new team members who want to help us change the world.
About the role
You will be responsible for leading all US and UK business development initiatives in Quantum Sensing while furthering broader US Government Engagement (which includes our initiatives in Quantum Computing). In addition to having direct responsibility for sales and business development initiatives, you will provide key input into other functions of the company, including product management and strategic partnerships.
Sensing specific experience: You will have significant experience working with research programs and helping commercialize them. You will develop business with system integrators, and develop relationships with the end users of our Quantum Sensing technology.
Government engagement specific experience: You will have a demonstrated understanding of the structure, processes and operation of the US Government at both federal and state levels. You will have experience building trusted working relationships across government. You will have experience shaping government policy and a good understanding of government grants and other funding processes.
What you'll be doing:
- Build and own a cohesive, deliberate commercialization strategy to commercialize Q-CTRL’s Sensing IP.
- Build trusted partner relationships with potential customers (commercial, government), through regular meetings & attending events.
- Learn about the acquisition programs / grants potential customers are anticipating to announce (government) or to apply for (industry).
- Share accurate and timely information about Q-CTRL’s capability roadmap and progress, and be able to answer basic technical & commercial questions based on supplied collateral.
- Feedback to Product their particular pain points / level of interest / desired features.
- Feedback to Sensing technical questions not covered by the supplied collateral.
- Progress each customer from “Discovery/Relationship” stage to “Scoping/Proposal” stage as appropriate as our capabilities mature and customers need/want to buy, and transition primary relationship to Product at this time.
- Attend major events in jurisdiction.
- Work closely with stakeholders to make critical decisions and priority calls
- Build trusted partnerships with senior decision makers across the US Government.
- Monitor, evaluate and influence US Government regulation, legislation and policy to support and protect Q-CTRL’s interests.
- Identify and secure US Government funding opportunities.
Your qualifications and behavioral attributes (Sensing):
- 10 years in a combination of progressive leadership and operating roles in Sales, Growth and Business Development in growth-stage technology businesses.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, or similar field and a minimum of 10 years of related experience.
- Must have led previous capture teams.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with current and prospective customers and industry partners to identify new business opportunities, proactively communicate and resolve program issues, and provide strategic direction to program teams.
- They should know target customers across the Air Force’s Command, Control, Communications and Battle management (C3BM) community.
- Excellent writing, communication skills with experience presenting to senior executives and customers.
- Able to work in a fast paced, highly entrepreneurial, and creative environment.
- Must have the ability to obtain a security clearance.
- Can take ownership of customer RFI/ RFP responses and drive to completion without constant input from technical team.
- Can create and tailor product/program briefs for specific customers.
Your qualifications and behavioral attributes (Government Engagement):
- 10 years of experience working in - or working closely with - the US Government, including the military, government departments and Congressional offices.
- The ability to operate with independence and autonomy.
- Demonstrated experience influencing the development, implementation and review of US Government policy, legislation and regulation.
- Thorough understanding of US Government grants and procurement processes.
Flexibility: We embrace workplace flexibility so you worry more about your global impact vs a rigid work schedule
Attractive salary: You’ll get to live the start-up life without start-up wages
Equity: We want people to have a sense of ownership in what they do and offer the potential for equity share and annual bonuses
Resources: We are well funded by the world’s best technology investors, letting us chase our ambitions with minimal constraints
Parental support: We offer paid parental leave to support you and your loved ones!
Diversity: We’re an equal employment opportunity employer. We value diversity, inclusion and providing equal opportunities to all, actively supporting initiatives like the ‘Global Women in Quantum’ program among others
Unique culture: You’ll be surrounded by some of the world’s leading physicists, engineers, product, marketing and design people (to name a few!) with a strong desire to learn and transfer knowledge
Meaningful values: You’ll work with an incredibly supportive team who work consistently to deliver our core values to be real, be trusted, be just and to be revered
Personal development: We provide you with a personal development and wellness budget
Impactful work: Last but not least! You’ll have the opportunity to work in the world’s leading field of technology and truly make an impact that matters!
Please note: Q-CTRL is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. We are committed to being inclusive in the way we hire. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the requirements mentioned in the job posting.
To recruitment agencies, we do not accept unsolicited branded profiles and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.