Sr. Mgr., Engineering, Vehicle
Who We Are
At Platform Science, we’re working to connect everything that moves.
Founded in 2015, we are an open IoT platform that partners with innovative fleets, application developers, vehicle manufacturers, and equipment providers in the transportation industry to deliver revolutionary solutions to supply chain professionals across the globe.
Our employees are an engaging, diverse group of people who believe in the power of great ideas. We hire people with different experiences and perspectives to build a company culture that fuels growth through innovation.We value thoughtful actions and empathy for others. We approach challenges with resiliency and creativity, while encouraging transparency because, no matter our backgrounds or responsibilities, we are one team.
About The Role
We are looking for a qualified Sr. Manager, Engineering to join our team in San Diego, CA. You will be leading one to multiple teams focused on creating and maintaining our family of embedded Connected Vehicle Devices. We’re growing rapidly and you’ll be among the first to build out this new tier of engineering leadership.
Our stack is wide, diverse, and evolving. As a Software Engineering Manager, you are eager to mentor and lead teams working in multiple programming languages and frameworks, and contribute to future architecture decisions. You can be your teams’ point of contact with other teams in the company. You are versed in Agile/Scrum methodologies and are comfortable with giving and taking technical direction.
Our devices connect to vehicles over the CAN bus. They are based on modern embedded CPUs running Linux, AOSP, and Android Automotive. We also have microcontrollers that interface with the main CPU, and peripherals like GPS, IMUs, and cellular radios. We use Python, Go, Kotlin, Java, C, and C++. System requirements include real-time data acquisition, multiple processing streams, and multiple network connections in both server and client roles.
- Ensure software is testable, maintainable, reliable and fast to integrate
- Hold the team accountable for goals listed above
- Ensure team velocity is constant and generate metrics to back it up
- Mitigate issues slowing team velocity
- Hold daily stand ups and 1:1’s with engineers
- Ensure harmony within the team and with other teams and stakeholders
- 5+ years managing IoT and/or embedded engineering teams
- 7+ years of experience as an IoT or embedded software engineer
- Experience creating and/or improving development processes while reducing developer toil, and improving adherence to those processes
- Experience creating headless services in Go, Kotlin, Java or C++
- Experience with low latency, high throughput system design
- Experience with REST APIs, Message Queues (MQTT), and IPC technologies
- Good technical foundation with ability to pick up new skills and adapt quickly
- Strong emotional intelligence and the ability to build trust while acting as a servant leader
- A commitment to software craftsmanship and best practices in unit testing, code review, design patterns, etc
- Experience building strong relationships with Product leaders and other stakeholders to ensure your team has clear vision
- The ability to review code, coach, and mentor engineers on your team
- Experience supporting and contributing to the recruiting and hiring of awesome engineers
- Proven success in on-boarding and training new engineers
- A passion for building, developing, and coaching high-performing engineering teams
- A relentless bulldozer to any roadblocks preventing your team from achieving its goals
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
Platform Science Benefits Highlights
The company offers various benefits to regular, full-time employees including:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability insurances
- AD&D and life insurance
- 401k plan
- Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays
- Six weeks of paid parental leave
For more information please see the Benefits Highlights brochure for regular, full-time employees.
In addition, you can access the Benefit Highlights brochure for regular, full-time employees by copying and pasting the link into your browser: https://www.platformscience.com/benefits
This is an exempt role. Our job titles for each posting may span across more than one job level. The estimated base salary for this role is between $147,273 and $230,000. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target range for new hire base salaries across all US locations. Compensation packages are based on many factors unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, work experience, relevant trainings and certifications, business needs, market demands and specific geographical location. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, and benefits.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At this time we only consider candidates in these states: AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, ID, IL, KY, MA, MD, MI, MN, MO, NC, NH, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. In the future we plan to add more states.
Something looks off?