Staff Cloud Software Engineer
Based in Oxford and with offices in Canada and the US, Oxa is an international startup founded in 2014 and scaling up rapidly (300+ Oxbots and growing).
As the global leader in our industry, we’re fuelled by a bold purpose: to make the Earth move better. From passenger shuttles to industrial vehicles, our operating system for Universal Autonomy™ is transforming the way people and goods are transported by enabling any vehicle, in any environment, to operate autonomously — safely, securely and efficiently.
Our technology is capturing investors’ imagination. To date we’ve raised $140 million in our Series C investment round. Accommodating growing demand from new and current shareholders, this funding is driving our expansion in North America and EMEA, and accelerating the deployment of our technology in domains where there is both urgent need and potential to scale.
Oxa MetaDriver is a suite of tools that combines generative AI, digital twins and simulation to accelerate machine learning and testing of self-driving technology before and during real-world use. The MetaDriver Team is responsible for delivering these technologies to both internal and external companies. It comprises a wide range of disciplines from ML and simulation, to application development, cloud engineering and data capture professionals.
- Working with a range of other software engineers to spec, design, build, test, deploy, and maintain production-ready web application back-ends, microservices, and associated infrastructure on cloud.
- Producing high-quality, tested, maintainable code.
- Architecting back-end web applications, services and microservices to meet the needs of both users and developers.
- Balancing system complexity with an aim to deliver value to customers in the short term, while designing for an appropriate level of future scalability and maintainability.
- Being responsible for ensuring our back-end web applications and associated infrastructure are fit for purpose, satisfy user requirements, and are suitable for use in production.
- Defining and responding to automated alerts to help diagnose problems with live web applications and infrastructure.
- Collaborating with other team members, discussing problem solving approaches, participating in code reviews and pair programming.
- Contributing to daily stand ups and other agile ceremonies to ensure visibility of team progress, including planning, reviewing, and highlighting risk or scope creep against project requirements.
- Contributing to the hiring process and onboarding for new team members.
- Coaching or mentoring other members of your team that look to you for advice, technical guidance or career development support.
What you need to succeed
- Architected and Delivered SaaS based products
- Demonstrable experience with modern web stacks
- Experience in providing scaling and resilience for web apps/APIs
- Demonstrable experience of implementing applications and data workflows on modern public cloud infrastructure (e.g. GCP)
- Ability to work in an emerging discipline within the company and work within cross functional teams
- Experience developing and architecting SaaS based products with strong ML/training elements to it
- Experience developing SaaS based products with strong ML/training elements to it
- GCP native experience
- Developed B2B rather than B2C SaaS solutions
- A natural curiosity about the world and a can-do attitude.
- A love of collaboration.
- Proven agility in fast-changing environments. As a scale-up, we’re constantly evolving so our people need to evolve too for us to succeed together.
- An ability to build trust quickly with team members and other stakeholders.
- An open mind. We call ourselves ‘Learn it alls’ because we need to remain open to possibilities
- A customer-centric outlook. Chances are you won’t be directly customer facing, but we value people who anticipate and prioritise the needs of our customers. We call it ‘inventing on their behalf.’
The Candidate Journey: Multi-Step and Two-Way
No-one wants to feel like a square peg in a round hole, so this process is designed to give you every chance to get the measure of us, and us of you. The various stages give you every opportunity to show your unique strengths and qualities, and enables each of us to establish if we’re a good fit for the other. If the fit is good and you’re selected, you’re then in a position to do great work and thrive, which is what everyone wants.
- Competitive salary, benchmarked against the market and reviewed annually
- Company share programme
- Hybrid and/or flexible work arrangements
- Core benefits of market leading private healthcare, life assurance, critical illness cover, income protection, alongside a company paid health cash plan (including gym discounts)
- A flexible £2,000 (pro-rata) benefits fund to spend on additional benefits of your choice, including tech scheme and cycle to work benefits
- A salary exchange pension plan
- 25 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays
- A pet-friendly office environment
- Safe assigned spaces for team members with individual and diverse needs
Diversity is a marathon not a sprint! It is a journey with no destination. We are on a mission to unlock the benefits of self-driving technology to every person and organisation on the planet. We are creating an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work which put simply is the right thing to do. We hire and nurture those we can learn from, valuing diversity and the innovation that this drives.
We apply a neuro inclusive lens to our recruitment process and want each potential Oxbot to enjoy the best experience possible for them. We promote an open and inclusive culture that empowers our Oxbots to bring their whole, authentic selves to work every day. Oxa is proud to be an inclusive organisation and, as such, we require all team members within our recruitment process to understand and deploy best practices focused on de-biasing the whole recruitment cycle.
Please share with us any individual needs or reasonable adjustments we may need to make in advance of commencing the interview process with us.
Learn more about our culture here.
Why become an Oxbot?
Our team of experts in computer science, AI, robotics and machine learning is world-class, and together they’re solving the most exciting and important technological challenges of our times.
But as well as smarts, Oxbots have heart. Our diverse, multi-cultural crew is guided by a shared vision to bring the myriad benefits of autonomy to our customers and partners. And in a company that celebrates uniqueness as much as skill and experience, they do it with energy, conviction and a healthy dose of excitement, too.
If you are bold, creative and hyper skilled, come and create the future of autonomy with us at Oxa.