Software Engineer - Simulation & Real2Sim Tooling
Who are we?
Based in Oxford and with offices in Canada and the US, Oxa is an international startup founded in 2014 and scaling up rapidly (300+ Oxbots and growing).
As the global leader in our industry, we’re fuelled by a bold purpose: to make the Earth move better. From passenger shuttles to industrial vehicles, our operating system for Universal Autonomy™ is transforming the way people and goods are transported by enabling any vehicle, in any environment, to operate autonomously — safely, securely and efficiently.
Our technology is capturing investors’ imagination. To date we’ve raised $140 million in our Series C investment round. Accommodating growing demand from new and current shareholders, this funding is driving our expansion in North America and EMEA, and accelerating the deployment of our technology in domains where there is both urgent need and potential to scale.
MetaDriver is a suite of tools that combines generative AI, digital twins and simulation to accelerate machine learning and testing of self-driving technology before and during real-world use. You will join our Oxa MetaDriver Team which is responsible for delivering these technologies to both internal and external customers. It comprises a wide range of disciplines from ML and simulation, to application development, cloud engineering and data capture professionals.
Specifically, you’ll be working in the scenario expansion workstream.
- As part of the MetaDriver Scenario Expansion team, you will be contributing to the development of state-of-the-art scenario synthesis tools and frameworks, ensuring the generation of effective and diverse driving scenarios for validating and improving autonomous vehicles.
- Adapt and customise the open source driving simulators (e.g. CARLA) to suit our autonomous driving stack requirements, ensuring seamless integration and compatibility.
- Collaborate closely with our advanced scenario generation and simulation teams to align simulation efforts with scenario tools and processes.
- Analyse and identify potential improvements in simulation accuracy, fidelity, and performance to optimise system development.
- Propose and architect systems for enabling the use of real-world driving scenarios in simulation.
- Contribute to the development tools and processes which will support the acquisition of data, scenario generation, and ML frameworks in software-in-the-loop simulation.
- Working closely with our Scenario Expansion team as well as other teams and leads in facilitating the integration of scenario generation and replay tools with driving simulators, creation of specialist tooling and processes, and supporting the use of MetaDriver across the company.
What you need to succeed:
- Proven experience working with CARLA or other similar driving simulators, showing understanding of its architecture and features
- Software development skills in Python and C++
- Experience on developing applications using the Unreal 4 Engine
- Knowledge of OpenScenario and/or OpenDrive formats
- Excellent problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Experience on integrating simulation with machine learning tools and frameworks
- Hands-on experience converting real world locations to CARLA maps and/or real driving scenarios to simulated scenarios
- Familiarity with cloud platforms, preferably Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Solid experience developing with continuous integration and testing systems
The Candidate Journey: Multi-Step and Two-Way
No-one wants to feel like a square peg in a round hole, so this process is designed to give you every chance to get the measure of us, and us of you. The various stages give you every opportunity to show your unique strengths and qualities, and enables each of us to establish if we’re a good fit for the other. If the fit is good and you’re selected, you’re then in a position to do great work and thrive, which is what everyone wants.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary, benchmarked against the market and reviewed annually
- Company share programme
- Hybrid and/or flexible work arrangements
- An outstanding £3,000 flexible benefits including private medical insurance, critical illness coverage, life assurance, EAP, group income protection
- Funded relocation support
- Fully funded Visa sponsorship if required
- A salary exchange pension plan
- 25 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays
- A pet-friendly office environment
- Safe assigned spaces for team members with individual and diverse needs
Diversity is a marathon not a sprint! It is a journey with no destination. We are on a mission to unlock the benefits of self-driving technology to every person and organisation on the planet. We are creating an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work which put simply is the right thing to do. We hire and nurture those we can learn from, valuing diversity and the innovation that this drives.
We apply a neuro inclusive lens to our recruitment process and want each potential Oxbot to enjoy the best experience possible for them. We promote an open and inclusive culture that empowers our Oxbots to bring their whole, authentic selves to work every day. Oxa is proud to be an inclusive organisation and, as such, we require all team members within our recruitment process to understand and deploy best practices focused on de-biasing the whole recruitment cycle.
Please share with us any individual needs or reasonable adjustments we may need to make in advance of commencing the interview process with us.
Learn more about our culture here.[Link to careers page.]
Why become an Oxbot?
Our team of experts in computer science, AI, robotics and machine learning is world-class, and together they’re solving the most exciting and important technological challenges of our times.
But as well as smarts, Oxbots have heart. Our diverse, multi-cultural crew is guided by a shared vision to bring the myriad benefits of autonomy to our customers and partners. And in a company that celebrates uniqueness as much as skill and experience, they do it with energy, conviction and a healthy dose of excitement, too.
If you are bold, creative and hyper skilled, come and create the future of autonomy with us at Oxa.