Electrical Engineer, Avionics Lead
Join the mission to make Earth a sustainable home forever.
We see a future where space is the gateway to a more resilient and sustainable Earth. Outpost is the sustainable space company. Outpost is creating the world's first commercial reusable satellites that will come back to earth after mission completion and then get refurbished for the next mission, reducing future space debris and contributing to the long term sustainability of human life in space while making the cost of a satellite mission up to 80% cheaper and 100% cleaner.
We enable precision Earth Return of satellites and orbital payloads. We believe that our future in space must be built with sustainability at its core and that efficient, precise Earth Return is essential for the development of new industries in space and the improvement of life on Earth.
Outpost allows companies to iterate on technical developments in space and ensure mission success. If you believe that the advancement into space will create a better planet Earth for all living beings and have the background to support it, then we want to hear from you.
Who you are:
- You enjoy collaboration and are an effective communicator who has worked with electrical and mechanical engineering teams on mission-level and customer driven system needs and planning.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, autonomously driven atmosphere.
- Excited about making smarter, better, extremely low cost space systems.
- You collaborate with software teams to ensure that software specifications are suitable for both hardware and software development.
- Work with electrical and mechanical engineering teams to ensure avionics size, weight, and power needs are in line with system-level constraints.
- Coordinate with vendors of avionics products, both software and hardware, to ensure products are delivered within expectations.
- Passion for space and curiosity for electronics in high-reliability applications
- Lead satellite avionics design and development
- Rapid development of high reliability electronics for satellite systems.
- Drive system trades, requirements capture, component selection, analysis, schematic capture, PCB layout, prototyping, bring-up, debugging, documentation, manufacturing, and test.
- Create development and qualification testing campaigns and exercise designs to their limits.
- Support hardware-in-the-loop (HWIL) setup and test
- Coordinate with the team on system test needs and interfaces to support production of a HWIL simulated flight environment.
- Support embedded systems firmware development.
- Assist with systems engineering-based requirements definition and verification with a diverse group of software and hardware-based test team members, in a lab environment and to support flight testing.
- Support hardware through production, integration, test and flight.
- Work with experts from other areas to drive changes that make the systems more efficient, more manufacturable, and more reliable. Challenge assumptions and requirements
- Work on the Outpost satellite team reporting to the Lead Spacecraft Systems Engineer.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics, aerospace, or related field.
- 5+ years of experience designing and building electrical hardware
- Experience with circuit board layout, including for switching power converters or high speed digital communication circuits (Altium Designer)
- Experience with developing electrical hardware and defining architecture from a blank slate
- Experience designing switching power converters, power magnetics, analog control loops, solid state load switches, EMI/EMC compliance, or sensor signal conditioning circuits
- Experience with high voltage devices, lithium ion batteries, or power distribution optimization
- Experience with high performance digital processors, FPGAs, memory chips, or network switches
- Experience with circuit board design-for-manufacturability, productization of electronics
- Hands-on experience with board level bring-up, testing and debugging.
- Experience with systems engineering-based requirements definition, verification and validation.
- Experience defining software and hardware interfaces, design and architecture
- Experience writing firmware and software in C/C++ and Python
- Work on-site in Santa Monica, CA
- $110 - 150k, based on experience
- Annual Performance-Based Bonuses
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Unlimited PTO
- Paid Sick Leave, Bereavement Leave, and Family Leave
Please click here to Apply.
Something looks off?