Test Engineer II
Nanoracks is a cutting-edge aerospace company focusing on providing commercial access to space, currently on the International Space Station (ISS), suborbital vehicles, expendable launch vehicles, and more! We have sent over 1,000 payloads to the Space Station, kickstarted the CubeSat deployment revolution, and have customers in over 30 nations.
Since 2009, Nanoracks has created and expanded new in-space markets and has been the world leader for ushering in a new era of in-space services. Currently, Nanoracks is working to build commercial space stations (“Outposts”) from the spent upper stages of launch vehicles in orbit. This technology will enable spent upper stages to be used as crewed and un-crewed space stations for various purposes and customers—both civil and commercial.
Nanoracks will provide and facilitate an ecosystem of interoperable technologies and distributed free flying space stations. You can read our approach here.
We hope you’ll apply to join our team. We work with leaders from all over the world, including NASA, universities and government centers both foreign and domestic, and commercial companies. We’re fast, fun, passionate, and love sending things to space.
What We're Looking For
Smart, talented, critical thinkers with an ability to handle responsibility in a dynamic and ever-changing landscape. You will own your projects and be results oriented. Nanoracks is a small company (70+ awesome people), but we interface with much larger organizations from around the world. You will need to be able to work in small and large groups as well as simultaneously execute an entire project on time.
Test Engineer II
The Test Engineer II is responsible for developing test and verification processes and performing testing for new space flight hardware . Participate in putting new processes in place to improve productivity. This position plays a vital role in the success of advancing hardware on various space-based programs.
Design & Development
1. Develop test plans and protocols for prototype hardware through highly ruggedized space flight hardware, to verify they meet verification specifications. This includes: EMI/EMC testing, power quality testing, environmental testing, vibration testing and communications testing .
2. Help to develop specialized equipment and test methods to be used to perform quality checks on various lower level assemblies to reduce risks on final assembly testing.
3. Participate in creating Project Plans including Project Schedules. This includes estimating time required to implement various tasks associated with test development, establish milestones and meet those milestones.
4. Execute test plans and protocols for prototype hardware through highly ruggedized space flight hardware, to verify they meet verification specifications. This includes: EMI/EMC testing, power quality testing, environmental testing, vibration testing and communications testing
5. Use digital multi-meters, oscilloscopes, waveform/function generators, spectrum analyzers, logic analyzers, simulators, power switches, electronic load banks, break-out-boxes, and associated test and measurement equipment to conduct avionics and electrical development and troubleshooting.
6. Perform qualification and acceptance testing on batteries, capacitors, containment vessels, and other safety critical flight hardware.
7. Develop all required test reports to close verification requirements.
8. Support proposal efforts, provide solutions for proposal challenges, communicate, and document technical approaches, and provide inputs to cost and schedule estimates.
9. Provide regular status reports and updates to Engineering management and Program/Project managers.
10. Prioritize workload to insure timely testing of flight and non-flight (ground system) hardware.
11. Collaborate with other engineering disciplines, Quality Assurance, Flight Operations, Systems Verifications, and Safety throughout the development, manufacturing, inspection, testing, and qualification process for hardware.
12. Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university required.
• Master’s degree or equivalent preferred.
• Four (4) to six (6) years of experience or training in a related field required.
• Experience in the testing Space Hardware preferred.
• Critical Thinking
• Communication Skills
• Problem Solving
• Detailed Oriented
• Computer Literacy
It is our policy to select, place, train and promote the most qualified individuals based upon relevant factors such as work quality, attitude and experience so as to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees in compliance with applicable local, state and federal laws and without regard to non-work related factors such as race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran stats, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, genetic information, or other protected status. When applicable, our policy of non-discrimination applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, transfer, promotion, placement, lay-off, compensation, termination, reduction in force and benefits.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The statements contained in this job description are intended to describe the general content and requirements for performance of this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties, responsibilities, and requirements. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter the scope of work within the framework of this job description at any time without prior notice.
Competitive with local and industry standard.
Something looks off?