Engineering Manufacturing Technician
Metropolis is an artificial intelligence company for the real world. Metropolis' computer vision platform enables people to transact in the physical world with even greater ease than we experience online. Today, we are reimagining parking. Because it's important, it's everywhere, and impacts everyone – enabling millions of consumers to just "drive in and drive out" – that's it. Tomorrow, we will power "checkout-free" experiences anywhere you go.
Metropolis is seeking an Engineering Manufacturing Technician to help build our hardware systems and support the ongoing needs of field-deployed hardware. As a key member of the Hardware team, you will be responsible for manufacturing and supporting a broad suite of hardware technologies that power the operation of our CV/ML platform, including but not limited to camera and computer vision systems, edge and embedded computers, IoT sensors and automated access control systems.
You will work closely with members of the Hardware Engineering and Technical Operations organizations to support in-house manufacturing of needed hardware systems at low quantities, while also establishing relationships with Contract Manufacturers for component and device manufacturing at volume. You will own the lifecycle of our deployed systems – supporting failed devices, repairs, and RMA processes where necessary – and lead process improvement efforts. You will be expected to wear many hats and support a variety of development efforts. If you have a background in the assembly and test of electromechanical systems, sensors, and cameras, and are interested in manufacturing systems that go out into the real world, please reach out!
- Work with Hardware Engineering and Technical Operations to support hardware bring-up, prototype assembly, debug and deployment
- Perform electromechanical device assembly, including soldering and rework as needed
- Establish relationships with manufacturing partners as needed to enable high volume assembly
- Create and maintain detailed technical documentation for hardware designs, assembly instructions and testing procedures
- Maintain an inventory of hardware components, materials, tooling, test equipment, and other lab stock
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and optimization in hardware development and testing
- Coordinate packaging and shipping of materials from the lab to our sites and warehouse facilities
- Place purchase orders for laboratory materials used in prototyping, testing, and for general lab needs
Requirements and Qualifications
- AS or BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Engineering Technology, or related experience
- 5+ years of experience as a hardware technician inside innovative, high-growth environments
- Demonstrated experience debugging/troubleshooting hardware systems
- Proficiency using test and measurement equipment such as oscilloscopes, DMMs, and power supplies
- Strong mechanical fabrication, assembly, and electronic prototyping experience
- Working knowledge of hardware CAD tools and software
- Familiarity using command line software tooling to support lab operations (Python, Linux, Bash, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret schematics and technical drawings
- Ability to write clear and concise technical documentation that can be used by others
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with proven ability to present complex technical information to a wide variety of internal and external audiences
- Knowledge of safety protocols and practices in an electronics lab environment
When you join Metropolis, you’ll join a team of world-class product leaders and engineers, building an ecosystem of technologies at the intersection of parking, mobility, and real estate. Our goal is to build an inclusive culture where everyone has a voice and the best idea wins. You will play a key role in building and maintaining this culture as our organization grows. The anticipated base salary for this position is $90,000.00 to 140,000.00 annually. The actual base pay offered is determined by a number of variables, including, as appropriate, the applicant's qualifications for the position, years of relevant experience, distinctive skills, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and the location of residence and/or place of employment. Base pay is one component of Metropolis’s total compensation package, which may also include access to or eligibility for healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, a lucrative stock option plan, bonus plans and more.