Satellite Operations Engineer
Please review the job details below.
Maxar Intelligence, is currently seeking a Satellite Operations Engineer to join our team in Longmont, CO. This is an onsite position with a rotating shift.
Life with Us
Maxar Intelligence is a trusted partner and innovator in Earth intelligence and space infrastructure. Our unique approach combines decades of deep mission understanding and a proven foundation of commercial technology to deliver solutions with unrivaled speed, scale and cost effectiveness. We are a community of creative problem-solvers who value collaboration and diversity in developing breakthrough technologies for the good of humanity. Maxar is headquartered in Westminster, Colorado, and supports 4,000 team members across 20 global locations. Explore our career opportunities and how you can amplify your impact at Maxar.
Maxar Intelligence offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package including a competitive salary, choice of medical plan, dental, life and disability insurance as well as a 401(K) plan with company match, paid holidays and a generous time-off policy. Other select offerings include tuition reimbursement, student loan repayment, various professional development opportunities, fitness and wellness discounts, pet insurance, legal insurance, and adoption reimbursement. International benefits may vary depending on location.
Your Project: In this role, you will be responsible for satellite commanding, telemetry monitoring, and addressing satellite anomalies as they occur. You will work closely with on-shift management, Mission Control Systems Engineers, Ground Control Engineers, and Spacecraft Engineers to ensure the health and safety of the satellite is sustained and command objectives are met. This position requires an understanding of the various satellites that make up the Maxar Constellation which will allow you to address both nominal and non-nominal vehicle behavior through interaction with the Maxar command & control system software.
Your Career: We are very serious about professional development and continuing education at Maxar. We offer our team members with the opportunity to define their own career trajectory. Our group has amazing resources to support learning and development. You will work with your manager, or a mentor, to set goals and design a development plan to advance your career.
What We Offer: Time for dedicated professional development, conference attendance, corporate partner and industry training, peer group collaboration, hackathons, as well as paid certifications, education reimbursement and student loan forgiveness.
What you'll do day-to-day (with your colleagues):
- Routinely performs pre-contact verifications with the Mission Control Systems (MCS) Ground Control Engineers to ensure successful communication is established between the ground system and the spacecraft.
- Ensures spacecraft tasking and planning provides error fee output reducing the risk of faulting any of the spacecraft within the Maxar constellation.
- Performs in-contact spacecraft commanding and state of health assessments to ensure health and safety of the spacecraft is maintained.
- Performs out-of-contact spacecraft telemetry trending and analysis to ensure continued health and safety of the spacecraft out of view of a ground station.
- Fully investigates spacecraft limit violations and up-channel any violations to a Flight Operations Manager or Spacecraft Engineering which are not covered in any spacecraft related documentation.
- Recognizes and up-channels anomalous spacecraft conditions to the Flight Operations Manager or Mission Director.
- Maintains an awareness and comprehension of system changes ensuring operational compliance.
- Follows guidelines established in procedures and checklists and report operational checklist deficiencies to the Operations Efficiency and Transition team.
- Generates spacecraft availability reports for the Spacecraft Engineering team.
- Executes necessary ground limit changes to reflect current operating state of the spacecraft and long-term telemetry trends at the behest of a Flight Ops Manager or the Spacecraft Engineering team.
- Maintains proficiency on all spacecraft subsystems throughout the Maxar constellation.
Minimum requirements for this position:
- Must be a U.S. citizen and posses an current/active Secret security clearance
- Associate’s degree in engineering, computer science, or related field. Two additional years of experience may be substituted for a degree
- Minimum of 2 years in an operational environment
- This position requires 24/7 rotational shift work on a five-week rotating schedule
These skills would be amazing:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Calm disposition in stressful situations
- Love to trouble-shoot with a problem-solving and curious approach
Our salary ranges are market-driven and set to allow for flexibility. Individual pay will be competitive based on a candidate’s unique set of knowledge, skills, and geographic diversity, with earnings potential commensurate with experience. The range for this position is:$66,000.00 - $110,000.00 annually.
Maxar employees must follow all applicable Maxar policies and COVID-19 requirements as well as those of Maxar customers and third parties. Individual job requirements may vary, and Maxar reserves the right to modify its policies and requirements as it deems appropriate in accordance with applicable law.
Maxar Technologies values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.