Please review the job details below.
Maxar Intelligence is a provider of secure, precise, geospatial intelligence. We deliver disruptive value to government and commercial customers to help them monitor, understand and navigate our changing planet. Our unique approach combines decades of deep mission understanding and a proven commercial and defense foundation to deploy solutions and deliver insights with unrivaled speed, scale and cost effectiveness.
Maxar is seeking an experienced systems engineer, also acting as a product owner, and program technical lead for one of our agile development scrum teams on our WorldView Legion Space & Ground Program. This role is based in Westminster, CO.
In this role you’ll be part of the WorldView Legion Satellite & Ground System Program integrated product team (IPT) for command & telemetry that helps creates the technical solutions and delivers strategic and tactical satellite ground system capability capabilities positioning Maxar for growth in the global marketplace through technical solution management and delivery.
These enterprise-scale WorldView Legion capabilities power Maxar business systems and some of our core product offerings. The WorldView Legion Satellite & Ground System Program team drives innovation into both space & ground systems through the build lifecycle management in partnership with executive sponsors and business units. We deliver technical solutions into both internal operations and external, customer-facing offerings, collaborating with both operational leaders and go to market teams. This role as the technical team lead provides technical leadership and program execution oversight throughout the whole initiative and project lifecycle.
In order to be successful in this role, you must be a systematic and technical solutions-focused leader who is able to ensure a scoped technical product or capability is enabled on schedule and within budget in a way that is compatible with or complimentary to the existing Maxar Commercial and Secure Operations ground systems. The successful candidate will have experience with model-based engineering as well as generation of traditional SE artifacts, such as Concepts of Operations, Requirements, Use Cases, and related documentation. The candidate should have experience working with large, complex systems, and will be expected to leverage this experience to quickly learn specific aspects of our space & ground systems including commanding & telemetry, and space mission control systems, etc. Also as a product owner, this candidate will be responsible for owning features and supporting development of child user stories and their acceptance criteria, and to prioritize and maintain their team’s backlog as well as providing technical leadership with other scrum teams within the IPT that keep mission engineering, design, development, and implementation processes flowing.
As Maxar’s systems span multiple areas of expertise, you will require extensive technical leadership, collaboration, and clear communication, both written and verbal. The scope of deliverables includes: requirements derivation, engineering and solution design, initiative and project planning/readiness, and technical oversight of the successful implementation or product roll out in the context of the WorldView Legion program.
In this role, you will also gather and manage customer business and technical requirements as part of working with market-facing team members. You will lead and collaborate closely with the program manager and project leads, architects, and other systems engineers to ensure alignment of customer requirements with development and implementation plans. You will also collaborate closely with release train functional leads (product owners and subject matter experts) to define technical work plans and dependencies. You will be responsible for technical outcome verification and facilitating an optimized transition into operations and keep end-users/operators apprised of the overall technical solution and progress. This role is heavily software-based and business-value focused with the ability to thrive in an often chaotic and fast-paced environment.
Your Career: We’re very serious about professional development and continuing education at Maxar. We offer our team members with the opportunity to define their own career trajectory. Our group has amazing resources to support learning and development. You will work with your manager, or a mentor, to set goals and design a development plan to advance your career.
What We Offer:
There is a reason we boast awards like Best Employer, Best Place to work, Top employer, candidate experience winner. Our strength is in our people. Each team member makes a unique contribution
to our collective mission. So, we recognize that with best-in-class benefits like:
• 401K matching and immediate vesting schedule
• Career growth opportunities
• Family friendly benefits like maternity and paternity leave, adoption reimbursement, flexible hours, hybrid work options
• Programs to help you grow like tuition reimbursement, hackathons, and career development
• Student loan repayment
• Generous time off
• Comprehensive medical, dental and vision at affordable monthly rates
- Gather and decompose business requirements into program technical requirements and tie them to program milestones in concert with business stakeholders
- Bundle proposed technical solutions into coarse-sized work packages and coordinate with agile software development teams on draft implementation schedules, sizes, and execution plans
- Participate in technical solutioning, architecture design, and integration working sessions to understand system design goals and constraints
- Collaborate with train architects to identify ICDs/APIs which require updating and what the impacts of those updates would be outside of the program
- Meet with operators, end-users, and customer representatives to refine concept of operations and derive new requirements for user touchpoints
- Identify and propose changes with scaled agile development teams to develop the requested technical features
- Lead and collaborate with enterprise and train architects to refine the high-level design into a more detailed design
- Coordinate with test and evaluation teams to align on appropriate level of end-to-end testing and customer-facing testing
- Collaborate with software development teams to write and groom features
- Identify sequencing and dependencies on/with other major initiatives/programs within Maxar
- Lead validation of end-to-end solution for business value and operations transition
- Lead a scrum development team as both Technical Product Owner and Feature Owner - to include aid in facilitating agile ceremonies such as daily stand-up, sprint and quarterly planning, and feature demonstrations
- Support the Agile Software Development Life Cycle process used to facilitate system baseline changes, taking ownership of those deliverables expected from the customer organization
- Ensure quality by managing system and component-level requirements providing traceability to design documentation, test cases, and operational training material
- Work directly with other Product Owners, system engineers, program managers, developers, testers, and customers to define technical user stories to affect an optimal system design implementation
- Develop as-built design documents for software components
- Work directly with internal software development team as well as 3rd party software vendors
- Create system-level functional flows with an ability to frame all requirements inside those flows
- Lead development of as-built models and design documents for software components to ensure all documentation is current
- Continually learn about our evolving complex systems with particular focus on command & control & telemetry and mission control interfaces
- Make contributions to the enterprise vision, engineering processes, and overall architecture roadmap
- Participate in design sessions with internal clients from back-end processing to user interfaces, with an emphasis on mission planning and mission control segments within the space & ground systems
- Manage customer expectations to ensure realistic deliverables and then exceed those expectations
- Lead design sessions across operational and support groups
- Coordinate team responses to large scale dynamic requests
- Must be a U.S. citizen and be willing and able to obtain a U.S. Government security clearance
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Aerospace, Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field. Four additional years of experience may be substituted for a degree
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience in systems engineering, program management/project management, and experience in Geospatial Earth intelligence/aerospace/IT systems. Experience must demonstrate ability to deliver against key programmatic milestones and a strong understanding of Earth observation and/or intelligence enterprise-level systems and processes.
- Expertise with industry standard aerospace and ground systems engineering and software design processes
- Experienced with Model-Based System Engineering practices, SysML, modeling system state transitions, data flows, etc., and working with Enterprise Architect or similar framework
- Knowledge of standard systems engineering processes, tools, and artifacts, such as Enterprise Architect, Visio, and Block, Activity, Context & Sequence diagrams
- Experience as a program technical lead in planning and technical management of a technical team.
- Software development experience using scaled agile methodologies in aerospace, aviation, IT or related technically complex industry
- Experience managing cross-functional teams or projects, and influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders
- Strong sense of self-motivation is essential – must be willing to be actively involved in the details of the space & ground system design and operability
- Successful at multi-tasking and able to handle a workload with multiple priorities
- Able to identify and resolve project issues independently
- Strong teamwork and collaborative skills
What we look for in a Technical Leader:
- A seasoned, experienced professional that uses their understanding of their expertise to resolve a wide range of issues in creative ways.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. This position networks with senior internal and external personnel in their area of expertise.
- Receives little instruction on day-to-day work and only general instruction on new assignments.
- Personal Grit: Recognizes situations when priorities shift and adjusting to maintain perspective. Acts as a role model in challenging situations, manage your own emotions, and believing in the capacity of all team members to learn and grow.
- Team Engagement: Lead with empathy and concern for others’ physical and mental health, and focus on team member needs for inclusion, development, and growth.
- Business Focus: Maintain a business focus, and continue to honor our commitments to customers, partners, and employees with a view to the future
- Strategic decision making: Makes good and timely decisions that keep the program moving forward. Ability to make sound decisions in the presence of information ambiguity.
- Communicates Effectively: Develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Builds and leads effective teams: Builds strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals
- Drives for results: Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances
- Manages Complexity: Make sense of complex, high volume, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Courage: Steps up to address difficult issues, says what needs to be said, does what needs to be done
- Ability to delegate while remaining accountable for outcomes
- Demonstrated attention to detail and follow-through
- Excellent cross-functional and multi-level collaboration, relational, negotiation, coaching, and management skills; high-energy attitude
- Current/active Secret or TS/SCI security clearance
- Background in satellite space, ground & mission control and mission planning systems
- Experience with Agile software development practices & the various methodologies (Scaled Agile Framework preferred: SAFe, and Waterfall experience considered) and design processes
- Demonstrated proficiency in cloud-based, service-oriented architectures and distributed systems
- AWS cloud knowledge & experience and containerization technologies such as Cloud Foundry, Docker, or Kubernetes
- Background in GIS, manufacturing, spacecraft command and control, ground systems infrastructure, or analytics
- A passion for building highly automated systems
- A good understanding of security best practices
Our salary ranges are market-driven and set to allow for flexibility. Individual pay will be competitive based on a candidate’s unique set of knowledge, skills, and geographic diversity, with earnings potential commensurate with experience. The range for this position is:$116,000.00 - $194,000.00 annually.
Additionally, this position is incentive eligible with a target based on contribution, company performance, and/or individual results achieved; the specific incentive plan and target amount will be determined based on the role and breadth of contributions.
Maxar employees must follow all applicable Maxar policies and COVID-19 requirements as well as those of Maxar customers and third parties. Individual job requirements may vary, and Maxar reserves the right to modify its policies and requirements as it deems appropriate in accordance with applicable law.
Maxar Technologies values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.