Senior Software Engineer, Simulation Platforms
At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
The Simulation Platforms team owns mission critical platforms at Lyft that ensure that Lyft systems and architecture can handle the load of customer demand during peak events like New Years Eve, as well as catching defects in code before they reach production. These goals are achieved through building and supporting fundamental test infrastructure and platforms. Our systems are used Lyft-wide to generate traffic through a large scale ride simulator and an end-to-end testing framework.Our team’s work directly impacts how rapidly and successfully Lyft engineers can ship their features.
As a Software Engineer supporting the Simulation Platforms team you will be responsible for delivering critical but ambiguous projects. Using your technical experience, you will drive technical solutions that can create large scale simulations of the Lyft customer journey and identify resiliency gaps in the system well before it can have a customer impact. Your work will help build a resiliency into the Lyft ecosystem by simulating scenarios that can identify software or process failures across Lyft.
We are looking for candidates who are self starters and have a proven track record of delivering software solutions that can solve critical business needs. The candidate should be able to dive deep into any problems with lots of ambiguity and build a technical solution to solve it. They should be willing to take ownership of a project or a feature and be able to drive it from design to implementation.
Read more about some of the projects this team has worked on:
- Design, develop, deploy, monitor, operate and maintain existing or new elements of our simulations platform
- Help establish roadmap and architecture based on technology and our needs
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code
- Analyze our internal systems and processes and locate areas for improvement/automation
- Collaborate with product org stakeholders to address and prioritize custom edge cases
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge
- Share your knowledge by giving brown bags, tech talks, and promoting appropriate tech and engineering best practices
- Can help lead large projects from idea to positive execution
- Unblock, support and communicate with internal partners to achieve results
- 5+ years of software engineering industry experience
- Experience with object-oriented programming
- Experience in distributed systems
- Experience working with Python and/or Go is a plus
- Experience writing clear and scalable design documentation
- Experience designing, building and improving a set of team owned components
- Experience with kubernetes and container technologies (e.g. Docker, cri-o, etc) at scale
- Experience working in the developer experience space is a plus
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- Family building benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Starting in September 2023, this role will be in-office on a hybrid schedule — Team Members will be expected to work in the office 3 days per week on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Additionally, hybrid roles have the flexibility to work from anywhere for up to 4 weeks per year.
The expected range of pay for this position in the San Francisco Bay Area is $162,000 - $180,000. Salary ranges are dependent on a variety of factors, including qualifications, experience and geographic location. Range is not inclusive of potential equity offering, bonus or benefits. Your recruiter can share more information about the salary range specific to your working location and other factors during the hiring process.
Something looks off?