Principal Machine Learning Engineer
Posted on Friday, February 9, 2024
Lime is the world's largest shared electric vehicle company. We’re on a mission to build a future where transportation is shared, affordable and carbon-free. Our electric bikes and scooters have powered 400+ million rides in 250+ cities on 5 continents, replacing an estimated 100+ million car trips. Named a Time 100 Most Influential Company and Fast Company Brand That Matters, we achieved a fully profitable year in 2022, becoming the first in our industry to reach this milestone.
Machine learning and AI play a central role in Lime’s future. We have just begun to scratch the surface of what’s possible when trying to solve Lime’s most complex challenges. Some of the problems we work on: what is the most effective way to deploy our scooters and bikes in each city to satisfy the most demand? How can cameras detect when someone rides a scooter on a pedestrian-only sidewalk in any city in the world? Can we predict when a vehicle will need repairs before it breaks? Lime’s Product ML Team is responsible for designing, building and deploying machine learning systems end-to-end. We both directly build some models as well as some underlying platforms for other teams to develop their own models.
Join as a principal engineer to lead Lime’s ML efforts. Help solve these problems, set a long-term vision and help us on the path to 1 billion rides.
What you’ll do:
- Design, build and improve ML systems that address Lime’s most complex challenges.
- Partner with senior leaders to develop a multi-year ML strategy, incorporating state-of-the-art technologies, processes and techniques.
- Support Lime’s underlying ML platform used across teams and devices (mobile, custom vehicle hardware and cloud).
- Collaborate closely across engineering, product, data science, operations and more to make the best technical, product and strategic decisions.
- Mentor and coach engineers and data scientists
- 0+ years of industry professional software engineering and/or ML experience with a track record of building and maintaining successful products.
- Experience employing a variety of machine learning techniques
- Collaboration skills when working cross-functionally with product managers, operations teams and other stakeholders to translate business requirements into technical solutions.
- Passion for helping your teammates grow and influencing the technical culture.
- Ability to set a long-term technical vision and execute against it.
- Sense of urgency to get things done and deliver incrementally
- Specific experience with computer vision modeling
- Specific experience deploying ML models on edge devices
- Experience or interest in experimenting with LLMs
The anticipated salary range for this position is CA$ 171,000 to CA $235,000. Equity and benefits may be provided as part of the compensation package, depending on the position offered. Not all candidates will be eligible for the upper end of the salary range. Exact salary will ultimately depend on multiple factors, which may include the successful candidate's skills, experience and other qualifications as well as the candidate's location of residence. In addition to base salary, some roles may be eligible for a variable bonus based on a combination of company performance, employee performance, and management discretion.
When you join Lime, you join a global community of smart, caring, talented individuals working together to deliver world-changing results; striving to create an experience that enables Limers to do their best work. Here are some ways we support and invest in our team:
Competitive salaries, performance-based annual bonus and pre-IPO equity
Health and wellness offerings for all team members starting day one including access to top-tier fitness and mindfulness apps
Flexible vacation policies with ample paid holidays tailored to country of residence
Fully-paid leave following the birth or adoption of a child and financial, medical and educational support for Limers pursuing parenthood
Support for retirement and financial goals with unlimited access to financial advisors
Unlimited, complimentary use of our vehicles in hundreds of cities around the world
Professional growth opportunities through quarterly learning days and top-tier tools
Opportunities to connect across teams and locations to network, socialize and volunteer
Culture of belonging with Employee Resource Groups that engage and promote cultural awareness and DEI training across all functions
Consistent recognition of great work through meaningful rewards and career advancements
Benefits and perks vary depending on the nature of your employment and country of residence. Terms and conditions may apply.
If you want to make an impact, Lime is the place for you. Not sure if you meet all the qualifications? If this role excites you we encourage you to apply. Explore all opportunities on our career page.
Lime is an Equal Opportunity Employer, but that’s just the start. We believe different perspectives help us grow and achieve more. That’s why we’re dedicated to hiring and developing the most talented and globally diverse team – which includes individuals with different backgrounds, abilities, identities and experiences.