Staff/Principal Mechanical Engineer
Staff/Principal Mechanical Engineer
LeoStella is a state-of-the-art small satellite design and manufacturing company based in the Seattle area. At LeoStella, we are redefining how high-quality satellite constellations are built at scale. Our focus is on developing and using intelligent and agile engineering and manufacturing processes to accelerate the development and production of small-sat constellations, all while lowering costs and increasing on-orbit capabilities.
The work we do at LeoStella is helping organizations and markets change the world by removing the barriers to building satellite constellations. This is an opportunity to join a collaborative, high performing team focused on changing the paradigm in satellite development and production!
As a mechanical engineering leader at LeoStella, you will be engaged in all aspects of satellite system, subsystem, and component design and test. You will be the technical lead on satellite structures, mechanisms, and/or configuration for a particular satellite program. You will establish and deliver on structural development plans to meet program cost, schedule, and technical objectives. You will work closely with an agile, multi-disciplinary team to develop initial concepts based on stated requirements and objectives, then mature that design using LeoStella’s best practices, further collaboration and iteration with the LeoStella engineering team, and your own engineering judgement. At times you will be leading a small team and at times you will be the sole individual contributor. You will create designs using 3D CAD software (Creo), select parts and materials, and generate and maintain manufacturing documentation, such as mechanical drawings. You will work closely with our manufacturing team to aid in the assembly and verification of your designs so you should feel comfortable in a production environment and handling flight hardware. You will frequently interact with flight, prototype, and ground support hardware so you must be eager to get your hands dirty – figuratively and literally!
- Lead and own the development of spacecraft structural design and layout
- Design spacecraft mechanical structures, assemblies, and components with 3D CAD modeling software (Creo)
- Generate and maintain engineering and manufacturing documentation such as drawings, bills of materials, etc.
- Document design, analysis, and test results in technical reports and presentations
- Develop test plans for mechanical components and assemblies
- Coordinate engineering design packages with systems engineers, electrical engineers, manufacturing, quality, and program management
- Use engineering judgement to make decisions when all required data may not be available
- Seek out new technologies, tools, and approaches to maintain LeoStella’s position as a leader in efficient space system engineering
- Bachelor of Science (or more advanced) degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related field
- 8+ years of experience in mechanical engineering in an aerospace industry, with 4+ years of experience in the satellite industry
- Demonstrable experience leading significant design efforts and delivering to performance, cost, and schedule objectives
- Demonstrable experience maturing designs from initial concepts to assembled and tested hardware
- Experience designing machined and sheet metal parts, sandwich panel structures, and large assemblies
- Experience writing manufacturing and assembly work instructions, test plans, and design & analysis reports
- Experience with PTC Creo (Pro Engineer) strongly desired
- Experience with PTC Windchill or PDM Essentials strongly desired
- Working knowledge of the ANSI Y14.5 dimensioning and tolerancing specification
- Must be a US Person
- Experience in the design, manufacture, and test of composite structures, welded structure, and precision tubing
- Experience designing wire harness and creating harness manufacturing documentation
Compensation & Benefits:
Compensation range is $140K-$180K + 10% target bonus
- Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case by case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
- Base salary is one part of your total rewards package - you may also be eligible for up to 10+% potential bonuses. Additional employee benefits are detailed below as well.
Employee Benefits include:
- Employer-paid Medical, Dental, Vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability.
- 401(k) with up to 3% company match
- Paid parental leave - New parents are provided 2 additional weeks off beyond FMLA for rest and bonding time
- Paid Time Off and Flexible Schedule: You may accrue 4 weeks paid time off per year, in addition to 8 company holidays. You may also have the choice to take Flexible Friday off every other week.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. EEO is the Law Poster.