We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
Instacart is seeking a talented and self-motivated Litigation Counsel to join our legal team! You must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment, prioritize a dynamic workload, and possess excellent judgment. You’ll also need to be proactive and engaged, able to work well cross-functionally both internally and externally, excited about technology and e-commerce, and ready to roll up your sleeves and dig into tough problems.
- Active and strategic management of personal injury matters, consumer matters, and pre-litigation disputes in numerous jurisdictions
- Manage all aspects of the relationship with outside counsel, including staffing, strategy, budgets, work product, and discovery
- Work closely with insurance carriers and Instacart risk management and trust and safety team
- Work collaboratively as part of the Instacart legal team to assess and mitigate legal risks, working closely with business and internal client partners
- Resolve disputes in an efficient and cost-effective manner
- Create processes and procedures for operational efficiency across a dynamic litigation portfolio
- Respond to 3rd party subpoenas for documents and/or witness testimony
- Think ahead, see around corners, and help to prepare for and address issues that may create litigation risk in the future
- J.D. from a top-tier law school and membership with at least one state bar (preferably California)
- A minimum of 5 years of law firm and/or in-house litigation experience, including experience in state and federal courts
- Previous in-house or experience with technology companies preferred
- Broad base of substantive legal knowledge and strategies relating to the e-commerce space, insurance coverage, personal injury, and consumer legal issues
- Demonstrated success in strategizing, handling and managing complex disputes to successful resolution
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to efficiently handle and organize multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves, get into the legal nitty gritty, and the ability to exercise sound judgment when approaching novel problems without clear answers
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.
Something looks off?