Sustainability Policy & Engagement Contractor
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2024
About Indigo Ag
Indigo is leveraging science and technology to help improve the sustainability and profitability of the agriculture industry. Since 2013, we have pursued innovative ways for science and technology to drive sustainability and profitability in agriculture. With our mission, we are focused on four key principles:
1) Helping farmers enhance their profitability and soil health
2) Improving the quantity, quality, and traceability of the food available to consumers
3) Protecting the environment by reducing and removing harmful greenhouse gases from the atmosphere, while incentivizing sustainable land stewardship practices
4) Creating long-term value for our shareholders
Our people build partnerships, explore the science, and engineer the technology to help grow the future of sustainable agriculture. The only way to achieve it is through a unique combination of expertise – from Fortune 500 to academia, soil science and agriculture, to tech start-ups.
About the Role
Reporting to the Director, Carbon Policy & Strategic Partnerships, the Sustainability Contractor will be a part of the Sustainability Policy & Engagement (SPE) team at Indigo. This person is responsible for supporting Indigo’s own corporate ESG (environmental, social, and governance) workstreams and activities. The Sustainability Contractor may also have the opportunity to support other members of the SPE team in projects related to GHG accounting, carbon markets, partnerships, and related policy issues, as workloads allow.
This is a full-time, hourly role with an initial term of 3 months and potential for extension (open to considering a part-time schedule for the right, qualified candidate). The role is preferred to be located in Boston, MA (a hybrid work schedule is allowed). Fully remote applicants will be considered if qualified candidates are not available to be located in Boston.
What You'll Do
(50%) Development of Indigo’s annual GHG inventory:
Coordinate work of the outside consultant (already contracted) including meetings, timelines, data delivery, reviews, and deliverables
Become familiar with past inventory data, processes, and results, as well as existing data collection templates
Support consultant with data collection and coordinate regularly with key stakeholders around execution of the data collection plan
(25%) Project management of Indigo’s corporate ESG strategy:
Develop project plans, timelines, documentation, and internal resources
Support workstreams, communications, and activities with ESG Steering Committee, executive sponsors, employee resource group, and other key stakeholders
Prepare materials for internal communications to various audiences (e.g., Town Halls, Employee Resource Groups, Executive Leadership, Board of Directors, etc.)
(15%) Target Setting & Implementation:
Support development of formal ESG targets, coordinating with the ESG Steering Committee and others as needed
Support implementation of emissions reduction initiatives to achieve targets
(10%) Preparation for Indigo’s Climate Risk Assessment and Disclosures:
Prepare materials needed to develop a plan fora climate risk assessment of Indigo’s business Outline a data collection plan and identify the key stakeholders required for execution of an assessment Prepare materials explaining how this assessment can inform a disclosure aligned to the ISSB / TCFD framework
What You'll Bring
- Undergraduate degree in Environmental Science, Engineering or technical science related field (other areas of study are also acceptable depending on post-graduate academic and/or professional experience)
- Masters degree preferred
- 3-5 years of experience with corporate sustainability and ESG reporting
- Familiarity with all requirements of the relevant Greenhouse Gas Protocol standards for corporate GHG accounting, ISO 14064-1, and Science Based Targets Initiative, as well as familiarity with relevant corporate disclosure standards, including SASB, GRI, and TCFD
- Demonstrated success working with a variety of stakeholders and across teams, including operations, finance, communications, IT, and international markets, as well as effective management of external consultants
- Experience working in a software development environment where clarity of requirements, as well as documentation of everything, is non-negotiable
- Experience managing external consultants and contractors
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills including technical writing, non-technical writing, clear presentation of complex information, and creation of slide presentations of complex information in ways that are visually impactful, clear, and persuasive.
- Proficient in the following products: Microsoft Office (esp. Word, PowerPoint, Excel); experience with Atlassian products (Jira, Confluence) preferred, as well as experience with data architecture, management, and visualization
At Indigo, we understand that talent is not a one-size-fits-all. We want candidates who are passionate about our mission and aligned with our Core Values. That’s why we encourage you to apply, even if you do not meet all the listed requirements above. So let us know what skills you bring to the table and how you will add to our culture!
Pay Transparency Statement
Indigo is committed to competitive and equitable pay for all employees. The listed pay range for this role is a good faith estimate of the hiring range for this position. Compensation offered will be determined based on several factors including an individual’s experience, qualifications, and geographic location.
All regular, full-time, permanent employees who work 30 hours or more each week are eligible to enroll in Indigo’s benefits. Additionally, all full-time employees and some part-time employees are eligible for paid time off as outlined above. Based on their role, employees may also be eligible to receive long-term equity incentives and annual cash incentives.
We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and team members. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national, social or ethnic origin, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, marital status, family or parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, family medical history or genetic information, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Indigo believes that diversity, equity, and inclusion among our team members are critical to our success. We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.