Field Research Associate
Posted on Saturday, September 9, 2023
About Indigo Ag
Indigo is leveraging science and technology to help improve the sustainability and profitability of the agriculture industry. Since 2013, we have pursued innovative ways for science and technology to drive sustainability and profitability in agriculture. With our mission, we are focused on four key principles:
1) Helping farmers enhance their profitability and soil health
2) Improving the quantity, quality, and traceability of the food available to consumers
3) Protecting the environment by reducing and removing harmful greenhouse gases from the atmosphere, while incentivizing sustainable land stewardship practices
4) Creating long-term value for our shareholders
Our people build partnerships, explore the science, and engineer the technology to help grow the future of sustainable agriculture. The only way to achieve it is through a unique combination of expertise – from Fortune 500 to academia, soil science and agriculture, to tech start-ups.
The Sustainability Science & Modeling team connects cutting edge science and research with quantification methodologies at scale through deeply cross disciplinary work. We define the science requirements behind high-quality carbon credits, collaborate with scientists across academia and industry, and work on world class data sets and experiments to advance the science around sustainability and agriculture. Field experiments are vital to enhancing the ability of growers and producers to utilize and implement regenerative practices studying their effects on carbon sequestration potential.
Your role as a Field Research Associate is to ensure field experiments are executed well, collect high-quality data, and deliver a great and seamless experience for our partner growers and producers. You will work directly with forward-thinking growers and producers that are testing innovative ways of sequestering carbon. Activities will primarily include working with grazing operations monitoring grazing activities with cattle producers assisting in implementing rotational grazing management and ensuring accurate data capture of those systems along with grazing cover crops on cropland acres. Additional activities to included, data capture and data shepherding, assisting with field sampling, deploy and monitor sensors, providing growers with prescriptions on occasion. You will work with our Sustainability Sciences Field team to coordinate logistics of field protocols as mentioned above, ground truth on farm (as necessary) and perform any task to assist our partners with world-class services. The position location is for Kansas and Oklahoma.
What You'll Do
- Responsible for maintaining good relationships with all grower and producer partners across Indigo’s Carbon field experiments region regarding coordinating logistics for implementation and data capture with each partner, paying close attention to data quality and grower needs.
- Build and sustain positive relationships with partners by delivering on commitments.
- Will implement and execute all field research protocols related to sensor installation, sample collection, record keeping and other similar activities.
- Coordinating regular site visits to assess field trial status and evaluate field conditions.
- Communicate field protocols with partners and addresses questions for implementation and discussing internally when necessary.
- Coordinate with team members to receive instruction on what ground truthing protocol should be used in data collection.
- Ensure high quality data capture by each partner with a regular cadence and follow procedures to ensure safe and efficient data capture.
- Solve emerging problems in field pertaining to protocol execution due to equipment, logistics, weather, or safety.
- Provide each grower with the highest quality customer experience through embodying a solution-oriented mindset.
What You'll Bring
- Farming background or a strong knowledge of farming, grazing/cattle operations
- Knowledge of farming software (i.e., MaiaGrazing, AgriWebb, MJD, Climate, Agfiniti, SMS)
- Working knowledge of cattle and implementation of grazing systems
- A Bachelor's Degree related to Agriculture (agronomy, animal science, etc.)
- Minimum of 1 to 3 years of agricultural experience, preferably in R&D
- Superior communication skills and demonstrate grower empathy in interactions with all stakeholders.
- Willingness and desire to work outside and with growers regularly.
- Team player and collaborates effectively with team members.
- Strong attention to detail with solid organizational and prioritization skills.
- Passionately devoted to improving farmer profitability, consumer health, and environmental sustainability of our food system.
- Comprehensive understanding agronomy and row crop production practices along with cattle production and grazing strategies.
- Excellent communication skills due to remote working environment
- Self-motivated and able to create working schedules that align with field tasks across large geographic area.
- Willing to travel and stay overnight at locations to ensure all tasks are complete. Expected travel greater in spring through fall with travel 40-60%
How We'll Take Care of You
- Base salary of $55,000 - $70,000 annually
- Equity options & annual cash incentives
- Generous paid time off, including 20 days of accrued PTO per year, 5 sick days, 5 floating holidays, and 12 annual company holidays as well as one week between Christmas and New Year’s for a company-wide annual break, parental leave, and bereavement leave.
- Robust wellness benefits for employees and their eligible dependents including medical, dental, vision, mental health, and basic life and disability insurance
- Optional benefits available include Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Health Savings Account (HSA), identity protection, accident, and hospital indemnity insurance
- 401K savings plan
At Indigo, we understand that talent is not a one-size-fits-all. We want candidates who are passionate about our mission and aligned with our Core Values. That’s why we encourage you to apply, even if you do not meet all the listed requirements above. So let us know what skills you bring to the table and how you will add to our culture!
Pay Transparency Statement
Indigo is committed to competitive and equitable pay for all employees. The listed pay range for this role is a good faith estimate of the hiring range for this position. Compensation offered will be determined based on several factors including an individual’s experience, qualifications, and geographic location.
All regular, full-time, permanent employees who work 30 hours or more each week are eligible to enroll in Indigo’s benefits. Additionally, all full-time employees and some part-time employees are eligible for paid time off as outlined above. Based on their role, employees may also be eligible to receive long-term equity incentives and annual cash incentives.
We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and team members. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national, social or ethnic origin, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, marital status, family or parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, family medical history or genetic information, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Indigo believes that diversity, equity, and inclusion among our team members are critical to our success. We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.