Title: Director, Underwriting
Location: Austin, TX or Dallas, TX (Hybrid)
Reporting to: VP, Underwriting
Our mission is to deliver intuitive and proactive protection for homeowners, combining the power of technology with a human touch.
Hippo built the world’s first home protection platform. We believe that insurance should protect your home and the things you treasure with policies designed for modern lives and proactive protection that helps you care for your home. Our aim is to help you avoid issues before they become costly problems because the best claims experience is the one you don’t have. Simply put, Hippo exists to protect the joy of homeownership.
Responsible for bringing together the best of technology and underwriting. In this role you will lead a growing team of underwriters and a well-established producer support team. In addition to supervising the established day to day underwriting functions, you will partner with other departments such as Engineering, Actuarial, Claims and Sales to mitigate risk, achieve profitability goals and improve the overall function of the team via automation and implementation of underwriting processes and controls.
What You’ll Do:
Strategic Leadership and Regulatory Compliance
- Establish, maintain and report metrics related to volume and quality of underwriting decisions
- Ensure that all department processes comply with state laws and Department of Insurance regulations and align to company-specific strategies
- Prepare comprehensive responses to requests from the state regulators and participate as company representative in meetings with external parties as necessary
- Provide reporting and guidance to executive management on production
- Participate and contribute insights to department and business unit level strategic planning
- Develop, execute and ensure adherence to underwriting audits philosophies and procedures
- Analyze market trends and competition practices and prices and keep management informed of any significant developments
- Partner with engineering, actuary, claims and sales functions to evaluate, maintain and improve the quality of the underwriting process
- Analyze risk inspections, information from insurance application and third-party data to select risk
- Analyze claims and loss trends and implement strategies to mitigate risk
- Respond to day-to-day requests related to overall risk appetite from sales and service parts of Hippo
- Directly supervise, develop underwriting and producer support teams by providing coaching and counseling and performance reviews
- Responsible for high-level administrative functions within the department which include performance evaluations of management staff, anticipation of staffing needs, performance management, the design and implement training programs for strategic growth
- Provide technical guidance to underwriting, marketing and claims associates
- Bachelor’s degree or industry related certifications
- Minimum 5+ years Property and Casualty underwriting experience including time spent in the homeowner’s space
- Minimum 3 years people management experience, experience leading through lower managers preferred
- Experience and ability to understand, interpret and drive adherence to organizational processes, state laws and Dept of Insurance rules and adhere to prescribed underwriting authority
- Thorough understanding of ISO homeowners’ coverage forms
Benefits and Perks
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all of our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits - Multiple medical plans to choose from and 100% employer covered dental & vision plans for our team members and their families. We also offer a 401(k)-retirement plan, short & long-term disability, employer-paid life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for health and dependent care, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Training and Career Growth - Training and internal career growth opportunities
- Flexible Time Off - You know when and how you should recharge
- Little Hippos Program - We offer 12 weeks of parental leave for primary and secondary caregivers
- Hippo Habitat - Snacks and drinks available and catered lunches for onsite employees
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.