People Operations Manager
Title: People Operations Manager
Location: Austin, TX (Hybrid)
Reporting To: Director, People Operations
Our mission is to deliver intuitive and proactive protection for homeowners, combining the power of technology with a human touch.
Hippo built the world’s first home protection platform. We believe that insurance should protect your home and the things you treasure with policies designed for modern lives and proactive protection that helps you care for your home. Our aim is to help you avoid issues before they become costly problems because the best claims experience is the one you don’t have. Simply put, Hippo exists to protect the joy of homeownership.
About The Role:
Hippo is seeking a People Operations Manager to support Hippo’s ability to deliver against our talent strategy and business goals through managing and developing robust, efficient, and accurate operational practices. This generalist role will support a variety of People Operations functions (benefits, immigration, compensation, policy, and analytics) and provide the ability to develop breadth and depth for a candidate looking to grow their HR expertise, influence, and leadership.
This role requires experience in managing internal benefits and compensation programs, HR systems and data analysis, and a commitment to enhancing the employee experience at Hippo through flawless execution of our people programs. In this role, you will partner closely with the broader People, Finance, Legal, IT, and Leadership teams to help develop solutions to provide employee and manager self-service access to information and resources to support a positive employee experience.
What You’ll Do:
- Oversee the day-to-day administration of all employee benefits programs, including health insurance, retirement plans, leave administration and wellness initiatives including orientation, enrollment, changes, terminations, and employee education & support
- Act as the primary point of contact for benefit providers, brokers, and vendors including working with broker to prepare regular reports for senior management on the cost and effectiveness of benefits programs and make data-driven recommendations for optimizing benefits offerings
- Participate in the annual benefit renewal process and manage the annual open enrollment process including updates and implementation, communications, and post-open enrollment activities
- Analyze benefits utilization data to identify trends and areas for improvement and continuously assess the competitive landscape and industry trends to enhance and adjust the company’s benefit plans and collaborate with senior management to establish long-term benefits goals
- Stay current with federal, state, and local laws and regulations related to benefits, such as the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and ERISA
HR Operations & Analytics
- Oversee and manage the operation of the HR infrastructure and HRIS system (ADP WorkforceNow)
- Process all HRIS transactions relating to an employee’s lifecycle, including onboarding, offboarding, employee changes, benefits administration, and compensation, while ensuring data integrity and compliance
- Manage centralized support of processes related to the management of employee/employee data in order to support the broader HR organization
- Oversee the maintenance of accurate personnel files; system data entry and processing of employment changes, maintaining data integrity and compliance with Hippo policies and procedures
- Develop and create metrics, and other reporting aligned with key organizational performance metrics. Ensures accurate and timely data analysis
- Ensure data accuracy, reliability, security and completeness
Talent Management & Compensation
- Manage vendors performance and relationships for all related people processes and systems (such as ADP, Pave, Lattice, CultureAmp, and insurance carriers)
- Coordinate the annual performance management process (Lattice) and compensation cycle (Pave)
- Partner with managers and HRBPs on an ongoing basis to assist with promotions, and other compensation questions, ensuring that overall salary administration practices follow policies and practices that are fair and equitable
- Lead the participation in annual compensation survey inputs through Radford’s technology and insurance surveys
- Maintain Hippo’s cash and equity compensation bands, and continuous monitoring of external compensation market data trends
- Ensure appropriate audit control processes are developed, refined, and followed in accordance with internal guidelines as well as state & federal regulations and SOX controls
- Ensure timely fillings of all visa and permanent resident processes at all stages and act as the lead contact for outside immigration counsel
- Responsible for day-to-day communications among candidates, employees, managers, internal stakeholders, external counsel, and/or vendors, for the immigration programs
- Maintain awareness of legislation that impacts the immigration process and work to resolve issues with external counsel
- Ensure immigration data is accurately maintained and work in conjunction with General Counsel advising on immigration compliance and audits
- Analyze and maintain current policies, procedures, and processes; research general industry and peer best practices; and drafts policies that, achieve Company’s goals, comply with applicable laws and ordinances, and communicate Hippo's principles and culture
- Conduct regular reviews to update and improve company policies to meet evolving talent and business needs
- Maintain current knowledge and understanding of employment trends, current practices, new developments, and applicable laws regarding human resources. Anticipate long-term Human Resources trends and analyzes their impact on the organization
- Collaborate with the People team to document current practices and procedures supporting the end-to-end employee lifecycle and establish a roadmap for driving improvements
- Produce and present key people metrics to support accountability in driving progress towards key goals and initiatives. Leverage data such as employee and candidate engagement surveys to inform goals and strategies
- Recommend enhancements to People technology solutions that enhance the employee experience, meet workforce requirements, produce opportunities for automation, reduce manual processes, and simplify processes that help drive accuracy and completeness
- 5-7 years progressive experience in HR Operations, HRIS Administration, Total Rewards, and Data Analytics/Reporting
- Bachelor's degree in human resources, business administration, or related discipline or equivalent professional experience is required
- Experience using ADP WorkforceNow
- Proven experience in benefits administration and management, with a minimum of 3 years in a similar role
- Strong knowledge of employee benefits regulations and compliance (e.g., ACA, ERISA).
- Intermediate to advanced excel skills
- Experience managing all standard employee lifecycle processes
- Analytical mindset with the ability to interpret and present data effectively
- Ability to pick up technology and processes quickly
- Experience in a fast-paced Tech, Fintech, and/or Insur-tech company preferred
- Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) or other relevant certifications, preferred
- Experience using Pave, Lattice, and CultureAmp
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills
- Customer service orientation with the ability to serve multiple customers and deliver an excellent employee experience
- A resourceful self-starter with excellent organizational and time management skills
- High attention to detail, and intellectually curious
Benefits and Perks:
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all of our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits - 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401(k), long & short-term disability, employer-paid life insurance, flexible spending accounts
for health and dependent care, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Training and Career Growth - Training and internal career growth opportunities
- Flexible Time Off - You know when and how you should recharge
- Little Hippos Program - We offer 12 weeks of parental leave for primary and secondary caregivers
- Hippo Habitat - Downtown Austin, a 5-minute walk from the train station. Fully stocked kitchen and catered lunches for onsite employees.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.