Senior Data Privacy Advocate
Oakville, ON, Canada
Posted on Thursday, February 8, 2024
Who we are:
Geotab ® is a global leader in IoT and connected transportation and certified “Great Place to Work™.” We are a company of diverse and talented individuals who work together to help businesses grow and succeed, and increase the safety and sustainability of our communities.
Geotab is advancing security, connecting commercial vehicles to the internet and providing web-based analytics to help customers better manage their fleets. Geotab’s open platform and Geotab Marketplace ®, offering hundreds of third-party solution options, allows both small and large businesses to automate operations by integrating vehicle data with their other data assets. Processing billions of data points a day, Geotab leverages data analytics and machine learning to improve productivity, optimize fleets through the reduction of fuel consumption, enhance driver safety and achieve strong compliance to regulatory changes.
Our team is growing and we’re looking for people who follow their passion, think differently and want to make an impact. Ours is a fast paced, ever changing environment. Geotabbers accept that challenge and are willing to take on new tasks and activities - ones that may not always be described in the initial job description. Join us for a fulfilling career with opportunities to innovate, great benefits, and our fun and inclusive work culture. Reach your full potential with Geotab. To see what it’s like to be a Geotabber, check out our blog and follow us @InsideGeotab on Instagram. Join our talent network to learn more about job opportunities and company news.
Who you are:
We are always looking for amazing talent who can contribute to our growth and deliver results! Geotab is seeking a Senior Data Privacy Advocate who will be responsible for overseeing and managing the data privacy program within Geotab’s Data and Analytics environment. If you love technology, and are keen to join an industry leader — we would love to hear from you!
What you'll do:
The Senior Data Privacy Advocate will collaborate with the internal Data Analytics, Compliance, Legal, and Security teams to bring new privacy-by-design initiatives and innovation to reality as well as ensuring comprehensive data protection and privacy compliance. The Senior Data Privacy Advocate will ensure the organization's compliance with data privacy laws and regulations through the continuous adjustment of existing data privacy policies and procedures, and providing guidance and training to employees on data privacy best practices. To be successful in this role you will be a self-starter with strong written and verbal communication skills, and have the ability to quickly understand complex, technical concepts.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Provide Expert level consultation to Geotab’s legal and compliance departments to implement strong privacy-by-design practices into Geotab’s data, analytics, and AI practice.
- Develop and maintain a close working relationship with the Privacy Compliance Manager through consistent and frequent updates and knowledge sharing. To be responsible for the functionality, performance and growth of the privacy team in tandem with the Privacy Compliance Manager.
- Subject-matter expert (SME) on data protection practices and works with the data teams to ensure best practices are integrated into design requirements.
- Host Data Risk Committee quarterly meetings, which provides updates to stakeholders on data risk activities and raises activities that could present risk to Geotab.
- Member of the Geotab Generative Artificial Intelligence (AI) team to provide privacy-specific guidance on behalf of all privacy operations, as well as develop the Privacy AI Framework and assessment process.
- Conduct privacy risk assessments (PRAs) related to Geotab’s data environment
- Work alongside third party assessors on motivated intruder attacks on analytics derived from telematics data
- Develop strategies for managing privacy risks and vulnerabilities effectively.
- Facilitate audits on Geotab technology responsible for de-identifying and aggregating data.
- Improve, document, socialize, implement and evaluate de-identification and aggregation practices.
- Develop and conduct data privacy training and awareness for data teams, including but not limited to the Data and Analytics department and Solutions Engineering
- Contribute to Geotab's thought leadership in the data privacy, data ethics, and governance space and help promote it externally
- Work closely and provide direction to the data science team on data privacy best practices and evolve new techniques to further Geotab’s data privacy posture
- Develop, implement, and maintain data privacy policies, standards, and procedures in line with industry best practices and legal requirements.
- Manage an incident response plan for data breaches and privacy incidents.
What you’ll bring to this role:
- 8-10 years working in data privacy and protection and demonstrated ability of leading Data Privacy program/initiative
- Program or project management.
- Information Security, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field an asset
- Experience with Privacy Compliance requirements - specifically , PIPEDA, GDPR, CCPA/CCPRA and related privacy policies and regulations.
- Experience working within a technical or engineering organization, with knowledge of the high-technology industry is an asset
- Experience working with a data and AI team is highly valued with an understanding of AI practices, data management, and SQL
- Required to stay abreast with privacy and data protection related laws and regulations.
- Professional Certification in IAPP Data Privacy designation preferred.
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role! Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply.
Please note: Geotab does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Geotab employees.
Why job seekers choose Geotab:
Flex working arrangements
Home office reimbursement program
Baby bonus & parental leave top up program
Online learning and networking opportunities
Electric vehicle purchase incentive program
Competitive medical and dental benefits
Retirement savings program
*The above are offered to full-time permanent employees only
How we work:
At Geotab, we have adopted a flexible first working model in that we have systems, functions, programs and policies in place to support both in-person and virtual work. However, you are welcomed and encouraged to come into our beautiful, safe, clean offices as often as you like. When working from home, you are required to have a reliable internet connection with at least 50mb DL/10mb UL. Virtual work is supported with cloud-based applications, collaboration tools and asynchronous working. The health and safety of employees are a top priority. We encourage work-life balance and keep the Geotab culture going strong with online social events, chat rooms and gatherings. Join us and help reshape the future of technology!
We believe that ensuring diversity is fundamental to our future growth and progress and is an integral part of our business. We believe that success happens where new ideas can flourish – in an environment that is rich in diversity and a place where people from various backgrounds can work together. Geotab encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired. We will ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account as part of performance management, career development, training and redeployment processes. If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information about our diversity and inclusion as well as accommodation policies and practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here to learn more about what happens with your personal data.