Internship - Launch Vehicle Systems Engineering (Avionics) - Spring 2024
ABOUT FIREFLY AEROSPACE
As an end-to-end space transportation company, Firefly Aerospace is on a mission to enable our world to launch, land, and operate in space – anywhere, anytime. Our launch vehicles, lunar landers, and orbital vehicles provide government and commercial customers with full mission services from low Earth orbit to the surface of the Moon and beyond. Headquartered in north Austin, Texas, Firefly is looking for passionate, hardworking innovators to join our team and help fuel our successful trajectory into space.
Firefly has year round engineering focused internship opportunities for our locations in Texas. Both current undergrads and new graduates are encouraged to apply. As a Firefly Intern, you will support Continuous Improvement Engineers by looking for ways to improve yield, decrease defects, improve flow and reduce cycle times.
The Avionics hardware design group is responsible for the design of high-reliability avionics systems for Firefly launch vehicles and spacecraft. As an Avionics Intern, you will work in a small collaborative group through all stages of the launch vehicle and spacecraft design, system architecture, preliminary design and sub-system integration. You will be exposed to all of the processes and design guidelines that make Firefly the best new space company on the planet!
- Coordinate systems-level requirements between launch vehicle disciplines and develop subsystem and component-level requirements
- Lead high-level, functional design and development of avionics systems for the current and future launch vehicles
- Develop design, acquisition, test, and verification plans, and coordinate with the other avionics and manufacturing engineers and technicians to execute
- Recommend vehicle function and reliability upgrades based on experience
- Track task and personnel performance
- Support vehicle-level integration, vehicle testing, and launch operations
- Enrollment or a recent graduate of a BS or MS program at an accredited university or college
- Excited to work in a hands-on, constantly evolving environment
- Detail-orientated yet able to manage multiple concurrent tasks
- Strong comprehension of design fundamentals in the specific discipline
- Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing
- Able to effectively prioritize and execute tasks
- Experience with aerospace avionics system design, development, testing, or operations
- Experience with project planning, subcontractor management, and other project management skills
- Experience performing trade studies and sensitivity studies to select the best architecture option
- Experience in industry standard root cause corrective analysis techniques, such as fault tree and fishbone analysis
- Circuit level Troubleshooting of electronics components
- Systems level troubleshooting of electronics systems
Firefly offers outstanding benefits for our employees, including generous health, dental and vision plans with low plan deductibles, parental leave, educational reimbursement, short term disability, pet Insurance, and flexible PTO options
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Firefly Aerospace, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Firefly is governed based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.