Senior Engineering Manager, Infrastructure
About This Role
Strava is the leading social platform for athletes and the largest sports community in the world, with over 100 million athletes in 195 countries. If you sweat you’re an athlete, and Strava’s mobile apps and website connect millions of active people every day!
We are building our next-generation cloud infrastructure and setting key initiatives that will set the tone for infrastructure for the next half-decade. We’re looking for a thoughtful and technical leader with experience leading and scaling in the areas of computing, storage, routing, and observability.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Lead a diverse team of remote engineers advancing cloud-based computing, data storage, network, observability, and other foundational technologies that power all of Strava.
- Build an inclusive and high-performing team culture within your team and the Engineering organization.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders on initiatives such as hiring top talent, our incredible intern program, long-term technology vision, product quality, and accountability
- Grow your career in an engaged and creative organization, working on a product loved by millions of people worldwide
You will be successful here by:
- Engaging in work with an empathetic, business-aligned, and positive-sum leadership mindset.
- Coaching the engineers on the team and supporting their career development, at all different levels and career stages.
- Applying exceptional judgment to challenging situations.
- Embracing an inclusive, collaborative environment that elevates a diverse set of voices and experiences.
We’re excited about you because you:
- Have experience leading and managing remote teammates across North American and European time zones.
- Have experience working with internal customers and partnering with Staff+ engineers to make long-term technology decisions
- Have expertise running highly-trafficked infrastructure in one of the major public clouds such as AWS or Google Cloud.
- Are able to balance the tension between long-term foundational work and incremental improvements
- Have a track record of improving scalability, reliability, cost efficiency, and developer productivity
We'd love to talk to you about the future of Strava’s core technologies and your role in developing them. For more on Strava’s engineering team check out the Engineering Blog. It covers a wide range of topics, from how we rebuilt our leaderboard systems to personal perspectives on what it’s like to be an engineer at Strava.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. With billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.