International Commercial and Data Privacy Counsel
About This Role
Strava is the leading subscription platform at the center of connected fitness, with more than 100 million community members in over 190 countries. The platform offers a holistic view of your active lifestyle, no matter where you live, which sport you love and/or what device you use. Everyone belongs on Strava when they are pursuing an active life.
We are hiring an international counsel passionate about commercial and data privacy matters to join the Strava Global Legal team as its first Legal Counsel in Europe to support our growing, team-wide initiatives. The ideal candidate will possess law firm and/or in-house experience in ePrivacy/data protection, commercial contracts, and employment.
This counsel will provide data protection, commercial, and corporate support for our business and operations across our European locations. Under the guidance and leadership of Strava’s General Counsel, you will provide legal, strategic, and regulatory advice to the business on data protection and privacy operations, ePrivacy, consumer, digital services, security, AI/ML, commercial and employment issues. The GDPR compliance elements of this role include advising on Strava’s products, its GDPR compliance programme, being part of decision-making when it comes to processing our EU and UK members’ data, engaging with regulators, including the Irish Data Protection Commission (DPC) and supporting the Data Protection Officer (DPO) in the discharge of its obligations.
The commercial contracts aspects of the role will include advising our business teams across Europe and drafting, negotiating, and reviewing commercial agreements, such as vendor, license, and other strategic relationship contracts. You also work with our People team and advise on regulatory and compliance matters, employment contracts, and other employment matters across Europe.
Overall, you will maximise your knowledge and operations experience to partner with leaders, managers, and teammates across organisational boundaries and functions. This role will enjoy a high degree of autonomy, and you need to work independently and move nimbly with shifting priorities and business needs. The successful candidate will be ready to navigate a growth-oriented and constantly evolving environment. The candidate will be comfortable balancing multiple tasks under tight deadlines and must be a strong writer, effective communicator, and positive and uplifting attitude.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Support legal issues of the company’s regional office, including compliance, corporate and labour laws, local and international law, data protection and privacy laws, information security, and general civil law.
- Advance compliance with privacy and data protection laws in a balanced, risk-based manner that allows the business to grow and expand.
- Develop a deep functional understanding of Strava’s data assets, flows, and product and engineering development lifecycles.
- Manage regulatory responses, incident response, and vendor contract issues related to privacy and security.
- Review, evaluate, and draft Data Processing Agreements to establish proper data protections and compliance with privacy laws.
- Handle legal entity formation, registration, qualification, and related filings with third-party vendors and outside counsel.
- Engage in contract drafting, reviewing, and negotiating with vendors, critical suppliers, partners, and customers.
- Assist with labour/employment law matters and develop corporate policies and procedures.
- Manage outside counsel and other advisers on a variety of matters.
- Organise and maintain regional corporate, commercial, and regulatory records.
- Develop/Assist with and execute global initiatives to support MPS.
- Manage wide-ranging data usage/privacy, security, intellectual property, compliance, regulatory, and tax issues by partnering with subject matter experts and other stakeholder teams.
You will be successful here by:
- Proactively working with engineering teams to identify their innovations' patentable aspects and secure the associated invention disclosures.
- Using excellent business judgement to assess legal risk while thinking strategically and providing practical, business-oriented advice.
- Serving as a thought leader to improve and simplify processes, drive standardizations and organisation, and build scalable solutions.
- Aligning, supporting, and collaborating across various business and legal teams from different regions, including with HR, IP, engineering, product, and business groups.
- Developing and providing corporate training on ethics, privacy, and IP protection issues.
- Providing backup support to other colleagues on the legal team as needed.
- Being pragmatic, solutions-oriented, business-friendly, creative, an advocate for the business, and having a “can do” attitude.
We’re excited about you because:
- You have a minimum of three years of PQE
- You have drafting and negotiation skills, the ability to manage complex data and privacy protection issues, other aspects of GDPR, and the evolution of AI laws.
- You can manage, perform, and enjoy highly repeatable and high-volume work in addition to strategic and unique issues.
- Your leadership skills in bringing different perspectives together and working through competing priorities with tight deadlines are top-notch
- You enjoy working collaboratively with global business partners but can also be successful in working independently
- Ideally, you have in-house experience for a technology company.
- You have strong writing and communication skills.
- You are no stranger to drafting, reviewing, and negotiating cross-border commercial and licensing contracts with various vendors.
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomises who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. With billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and adventurous vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. Just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners, and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community. We are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture, and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.