Full Stack Application Developer
Posted on Friday, February 9, 2024
Descartes Labs helps organizations whose success depends on the scientific analysis of observable, physical world events. We are the leading provider of geospatial analytics that create actionable intelligence by strengthening our customers’ proprietary data with models of the earth. Our solutions create new sources of environmental sustainability and operational advantage and foresight for agriculture, consumer packaged goods (CPG), mining, and government users by combining machine intelligence and domain expertise into a complete operational solution.
Descartes Labs is proud to be a remote-first, deliberately distributed organization that recognizes that people have different needs and motivations for building a life and career that matters and works for them. For this reason, we are open to our employees working from any location, in a way that enhances their well-being, productivity, and role. We focus on helping our employees produce positive outcomes and we recognize that the path to getting there will look different for different people.
Our Supply Chain team helps our customers monitor their supply chains and gain insights into global agricultural commodity supply. Our products include capabilities like Carbon Analytics, which helps our customers monitor carbon flux over their suppliers farms or carbon project investments, and our Market Insights products, which provide market intelligence and commodity forecasts to optimize procurement decisions. Our team includes multidisciplinary scientists and data engineers who are responsible for the end-to-end development and deployment of digital products. We are looking for an experienced full stack application developer who can help get our science into the hands of customers through API and frontend development.
- Enable our customers to leverage our data, models, and recommendations by developing rich application and frontend experiences
- Take ownership of our Market Insights dashboard from the backend to the interface, working with the team to provide a performant and intuitive interface that the team is proud of and customers love
- Participate in on-call rotations with your team and actively improve service health
What You Bring
- Full-stack development experience including frontend, application, backend/DB
- Experience with microservices architectures in a cloud environment (AWS a plus)
- Python proficiency
- API development
- Knowledge of database architecture and SQL (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, Athena) and/or No-SQL solutions
- Experience with CI/CD, automation testing, and TDD
- The ability to perform rapid prototyping in order to validate product concepts and de-risk technical unknowns
- Exposure to commonly used application frameworks (e.g. Flask, FastAPI) and charting libraries (e.g. Plotly, Matplotlib)
- Experience building and deploying Dash applications
- Experience integrating third-party auth services (e.g. Stormpath, Auth0, AWS Gateway) and third-party payment solutions (e.g. Stripe, Recurly, etc.)
- Experience with designing and managing ETL pipelines
- Interest or experience in data science, data analytics, and/or data visualization
Who You Are
- Collaborative. You naturally maintain an open and flexible mindset, enjoy group ideation sessions, and value a supportive team environment that believes there are no stupid questions (or ideas).
- Adaptable. You enjoy working with small teams or in a startup environment; you are willing and able to adapt to change and wear multiple hats.
- Outcomes-oriented. Your benchmark of success is based on delivering working software that drives customer engagement and revenue. You can make logical tradeoffs between quality and delivery timeline, and don’t get mired in details or nuances when the timeline is tight.
- Conscientious. You have a growth mindset and are willing to do (or learn) what is necessary to get the job done.
- Open and Inclusive. You are receptive and interested in new ideas and perspectives, even when those perspectives don’t agree with your views. You value and respect differences and create ways for all people to contribute to the organization.
- Proactive. You are excited to participate in the shaping of our product suite by working on a cross-functional Agile team. You are interested in new software technologies and stay apprised of new developments.
- The base salary range for this position is $140,000-190,000
- Please note the base salary range is a guideline, and individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level & competencies as well as security clearance.
Top Reasons to Work at Descartes Labs
- We pride collaboration over ownership, iteration over perfection, principles over rules, and discussion over directives.
- We’re using the world’s top technology to solve the world’s largest problems with a strong focus on sustainability, environment, and impact science.
- We look at Descartes Labs as a work environment where people are included, treat their colleagues with professional regard and respect, and thrive as a result.
- We strongly encourage and responsibly enjoy a flexible work environment; unlimited PTO, remote-first.
- Descartes Labs offers a generous compensation package including a competitive salary; choice of medical plan; dental, life, and disability insurance; paid holidays, unlimited PTO.
- We offer parental leave for any team member who becomes a parent through childbirth, adoption or foster care. We offer up to a maximum of 24 weeks paid leave for primary caregivers during a 12 month period or 8 weeks paid leave for secondary caregivers during a 12 month period. Employees will be eligible if they have worked for Descartes Labs for more than 6 months.
You belong here! If your experience and interests match with some of the above, we want you to apply.
We are dedicated to building a diverse community, where employees belong, even if they are different. Scientific discovery is in our DNA, and diversity fuels innovation.