Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the team
Careem Grocery is on a mission to reinvent the way people shop for grocery, pharmacy and retail products. As an exciting new vertical within Careem (a startup within a startup), we’re in the early stages of building our product and have plenty of interesting and fundamental challenges to solve in order to achieve our ambitious growth goals in this burgeoning space.
As a Category manager, you’ll be responsible for driving our strategies on assortment by defining our selection by store and working with other teams on sourcing, pricing and promotions across our markets. This is a unique role with the opportunity to create genuine impact for the lives of everyday people in our region. We’re looking for someone with food and/or grocery industry experience, ideally in one or more of the following categories: Fresh products, Fruits & Vegetables, packaged food.
What you'll do
- Identify key consumer trends in the online grocery/Q-commerce business, specifically related to the Fresh category
- Work with the Head of Commercial on defining an actionable strategy for Category Management (assortment, category hierarchy, pricing, and promotions) based on Careem Grocery's commercial strategy and guidelines, with a specific focus on Fresh Products
- Strive to continuously update and maintain assortment strategies for the Fresh Products category to reflect market trends, local needs, and preferences based on data-driven analysis
- Ensure that we have an updated assortment of fresh produce based on the recommendations from the Commercial team
- Work with the BD team to buy and manage the assortment of Fresh Products (Fruits & Vegetables) by sourcing the best items and brands possible to provide the best experience for our customers
- Collaborate with various internal category stakeholders, including food and non-food product teams, to optimize category performance and drive growth
- Collaborate with functions including commercial, supply chain, and store operations teams to ensure smooth logistical relationships with supply chain partners and suppliers
What you'll need
Successful candidates will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer centricity, and a strong alignment with our core values and purpose.
- At least 4+ years of experience in the Food or FMCG retail sector in Buying or Category Management, with a focus on Fresh Products . Time spent in tech or a start-up is a plus.
- A strong understanding of the KSA grocery/convenience market/hypermarket/supermarket, specifically in relation to the Fresh Products category, and a willingness to disrupt the way it currently operates
- Experience negotiating with business development partners, FMCG, or brand owners, specifically in the Fresh Products category. You will be proactively reaching out to brands to build partnerships.
- Excellent communication skills with strong influencing skills and stellar stakeholder management. You can easily explain complex concepts to people of any level.
- Grittiness. You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and address something hands-on, and you persevere when others fall away.
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.