Manager, Surface Coating Facility
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention toward safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth!
As part of a small, passionate, and accomplished team of experts, you will oversee the manufacturing, assembly, and testing of flight hardware for various spaceflight systems. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of transforming the way rockets are made and operated. If you share our passions and vision, thrive in a dynamic startup environment, excel on integrated cross-functional teams, are experienced and skilled in several relevant technologies (even if perhaps not in the aerospace industry), continuously seek out opportunities to learn and improve, enjoy occasional travel, and do not allow title or job description to limit the depth or breadth of your contributions, then we would love to hear from you. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention toward safe and repeatable spaceflight.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Build and manage the Surface Coating Facility supervisors & teams, including developing resource plans and profiles, authorizing job descriptions, conducting interviews, making hiring recommendations, assigning tasks, and conducting performance reviews.
- Interface with area leadership to prioritize work based on production schedule and organizational goals.
- Ensure product quality and conformance to engineering specifications.
- Develop and implement cost reduction processes and efficiency improvement measures.
- Implement and refine new manufacturing processes.
- Work with engineering to document and standardize production processes.
- Collaborate with engineering to develop a production-ready manufacturing approach.
- Review work instructions and provide recommended changes where necessary.
- Assure continued training and skills development to attract, develop, and retain great people.
- Set up new production work areas, including layouts, tooling, and equipment setup, etc.
- Assist with the transition from development to production by working alongside engineering to successfully transition the product.
- Forecasting and developing recovery plans for constraints critical to vehicle delivery schedule.
- Identify and implement continuous improvement projects for area safety and efficiency.
- Other duties as assigned or otherwise beneficial to fulfilling the mission and vision.
- Direct supervision/leadership experience, working aerospace development programs or production lines.
- Robotic/Spray Booth and conventional spray equipment experience; spray a variety of parts to close tolerances and specifications using different types of finishes.
- Ability to interpret engineering models, drawings, specifications, written work instructions, and test procedures.
- Ability to work effectively with a strong work ethic and close attention to detail in a fast-paced dynamic team environment with rapidly changing roles and responsibilities
- Basic computer skills such as Windows, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Must be able to set a high hiring bar while evaluating and hiring top talent
- Extremely customer-focused with strong verbal and written communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with teams of diverse skills across large geographic distances
- A continuous improvement mindset. Our job is never complete; we are always optimizing.
- Work off-shift, extended hours, overtime, and weekends if/when necessary
- Intense curiosity for understanding the details of our business and how to optimize it
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills and a proven ability to drive complex projects with minimal oversight
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- 5+ years in a direct supervision/leadership position, working on aerospace development programs or production lines.
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in aerospace, mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing engineering
- Broad/deep scheduling and planning skillset
- Experience with large project controls
- Project planning and Integrated Master Schedules
- Proficiency with resource-loaded schedules using Primavera (P6), Open Plan, MS Project, or other software
- Experienced in handling large aerospace components
- Experienced in a team-based Lean Manufacturing environment
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.