SLD - Avionics Packaging Functional Manager
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
As an Avionics Packaging Functional Manager, you will manage and lead a team of subject matter experts who are working on developing electrical power equipment for Lunar Landers.
Your primary role will be supporting the team by providing technical support directly to your functional team. In this capacity, you will be responsible for exemplifying best practices, balanced technical judgment, and a superior work ethic. You will drive the process, design and implementation of various Avionics designs.
You will be responsible for cultivating an evolving, rightsized workforce; overseeing performance, merits, and promotions; shepherding team members' careers through coaching, and technical development; benchmarking their work standards and tools with other Blue Origin business units and with industry trends; and assuring that the team’s work products meet domain quality standards.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to join our team and positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required. If you’re excited by providing near-term value, solving novel problems, learning about interesting topics, and completing challenging activities, please apply!
- Directly manage a team of mechanical and packaging engineers and analysts. Be responsible for the people, processes, and tools that are essential for best-in-class performance.
- Supply Subject Matter Expert (SME) knowledge to down-select architectures appropriate for mission requirements.
- electronics development and trade studies, and creation of interface definition, specification, and control documents.
- Support the creation of assembly and/or installation drawings and Your team will design avionics enclosure solutions for high reliability in harsh environments.
- Participate in program level technology development, mission assurance and safety initiatives, and avionics development process improvements.
- Effectively communicate development status, risks, and challenges to management.
- Lead the team by example and create long-term strategic plans to positively influence each person on your team toward achieving Blue Origin’s vision.
- Be a mentor, and offer leadership and development opportunities, putting those around you first.
- Recruit, hire, manage, and mentor a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team.
- Grow people into their full potential through inspiration and motivation.
- Responsible for forging a vision of a better future, strategizing on Blue Origin’s direction, and motivating your team to achieve Blue Origin’s overarching objectives by training, planning, directing, delegating, and monitoring success.
- Supply people, processes, and tools needed to meet the demand signals specified by project and program managers. Negotiate Statements of Work with the respective product managers
- Manage your direct reports’ professional development (e.g., hiring, performance reviews, compensation and promotion management, routine one-on-one development conversations) and coach them on performance.
- Organize and equip the Team and assure that its staff are trained.
- Embody, promote, and coach the Blue Origin leadership principles and ADP culture.
- Bachelor of Science in Aerospace, Mechanical Engineering, or related disciplines
- 2+ years managing technical teams and/or leading functional groups with responsibility for career management of employees.
- 6+ years working in related discipline.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment while regularly providing imaginative and detailed technical solutions to complex problems.
- Deep understanding of the avionics packaging development lifecycle
- Excellent verbal, written, and graphical communication skills.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation range for on site CO applicants is $125,235-$183,678
Compensation range for on site WA applicants is $136,620-$200,376
Other site ranges may differ
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, paid parental leave (must be employed at time of birth or adoption), short and long-term disability, 401(k) with a company match of up to 5%, and an Education Support Program available after 1 year of service.
Paid Time Off: Up to four (4) weeks per year based on weekly scheduled hours, and up to 14 company-paid holidays for all regular employees (including part-time), fixed-term, and interns.
Discretionary bonus: Employees may be eligible for discretionary bonuses in addition to base pay. Bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results.