Principal Thermal Engineer
Blue Canyon Technologies (BCT), a subsidiary of Raytheon Technologies, is leading the way in the New Space revolution! Our state-of-the-art systems are currently on missions from low Earth orbit to the Moon, near earth asteroids, and to Mars. We create high-reliability spacecraft with significantly greater performance, much smaller size and at a fraction of the cost of traditional space systems. We are involved in a wide range of projects for academic, commercial, and government applications. Join our innovative and dynamic company, as we build the small spacecraft of the future.
Position Purpose: The Principal Thermal Engineer will assist an experienced team of mechanical engineers performing mechanical and structural analysis on one or more spacecraft systems or subsystems.
Title: Principal Thermal Engineer
Position Type: Full Time
Pay Range: $100,000 - $170,000
(Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
Location: Boulder, CO
- 100% company paid health, dental and vision benefits for you and your dependents effective the first of the month following hire date
- Life insurance
- 401k (matching 4% with a minimum 5% contribution)
- Generous PTO (3 weeks of vacation + 3 floating holidays, 2 weeks of sick time, 7 paid holidays throughout the year) and parental leave
- Thermal design and analysis of spacecraft and/or precision aerospace electro-mechanical, and/or opto-mechanical flight hardware systems, flight cryogenic systems and/or ground support equipment including cryocoolers, cryoradiators and dewars, antenna communication systems, tactical video systems, components and/or ground support equipment from concept through detail design.
- Support Thermal vac (TVAC) testing as required.
- Computation of heat transfer coefficients, temperature, and heat flow calculations; steady state and transient.
- Responsible for creating effective plans, doing cost estimating, and managing efforts of the thermal design team.
- Performing thermal analysis, design, or test of one or more moderately complex or portions of complex materials, structural components, and functional systems of company products.
- Analyzing requirements for materials, structural component, or functional systems.
- Selecting applicable analytical data from previous products and determine the technical principles involved.
- Mathematically defining problems and compute the engineering characteristics consistent with the specifications, design needs and requirements of other portions of the products.
- Releasing results as “technical documents” after review by the senior members of the team. Developing innovative solutions and elaborating on design concepts.
- Evaluating completed designs with supervisor and other technical groups and making modifications necessary to achieve the most ideal design.
- Developing, coordinating, and conducting test programs required to evaluate design work.
- May include personnel management responsibilities.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Experience with spacecraft or subsystem thermal testing.
- Experience utilizing MATLAB.
- Ability to work effectively with customer counterparts.
- Working knowledge of thermal, radiation, and convection software.
- Advance thermal math modeling using Thermal Desktop, TSS, ANSYS Mechanical, CFD, TAK2000, SINDA, and IDEAS/TMG software tools is a plus.
- Working knowledge and experience using the CAD software Solid Works.
- Experience in spacecraft and/or precision aerospace electro-mechanical, and/or opto- mechanical flight hardware systems, cryo systems, cryocoolers, cryoradiators, antenna communication systems, tactical video systems, components and/or ground support equipment thermal design.
- Demonstrated successful lead/supervisory experience of cryo-thermal engineering activities. Prior participation in written and/or oral proposal activities for NASA and DoD programs.
- Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education.
This job operates in a professional office environment, but in a manufacturing company. This role uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to stand, bend, reach, and walk. The position requires some light physical effort. This would require the ability to lift or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities are required by this job which includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Blue Canyon Technologies is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other protected factor. Blue Canyon Technologies is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact Melissa Po at 720-450-8252 or